Thread: Allowances

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Allowances

I did not want to hijack another thread so I am starting a new one.

What do kids get for allowances these days?

What is expected in return for it.

I have a feeling that kids are getting quite a bit of money and likely do little in return for it. I am sure those that still have a farm can tell a much different story.

2. Member
    Yeah the cell phone one made me wonder as well.

3. Banned
    Most kids today want everything handed to them.Think they owe nothing in return.When I was a kid I had to work cutting lawns in the summer and picking pecans in the fall,to get my spending money.

4. Member
    Curious in this also as I have a feeling the wife will want to start doing something like this with the oldest soon. I know when I was younger there wasn’t such a thing as an allowance in the family for the kids. We had to earn our keep on the farm until old enough to drive. Then we could continue to work on the farm for pay or had to go out and get a job.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

5. Member
    Im expecting a kid in 6 weeks from now. I am going to treat that kid the way I was raised.

If "It" wants something, I expect work and earn it. nothing was given to me for free.

My kids "Earned" their allowance.... They learned to earn early in life, and both have a good handle on money management, and saving... My wife and I are very proud of them both.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Kids get allowance? When I was young only the rich kids got an allowance. Maybe that is why a few generations have a different outlook on life then the older generations.
    Me Me
    I’m entitled
    Free free free free free

My kids don't get a weekly allowance because they don't do what's asked of them on a continuous basis. If they want money for something now we make a list to get done. It works better that way.

I grew up on a small farm with very little ,we grew and raised what we ate. I see my neighbors give there kids 40,50 dollars just to go have lunch with there friends. I hear it all the time , I want to give my kids what I didn't have when I grew up. I say BS. Jails are full of the I wants and the giveme's. If I wanted, something that wasn't a necessity I had to earn the money for it, Many don't what Hop fields are but that is where I worked in the summer to buy my school cloths. and at 82 I am not about to change my way of thinking on this subject

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    My kids don't get a weekly allowance because they don't do what's asked of them on a continuous basis. If they want money for something now we make a list to get done. It works better that way.
    This is the way my kids were. Well mostly my daughter. My son would still have money from the previous Christmas, birthday, ect....

11. Member
    No allowances in our house. My kids are expected to clean the house daily, mow and weed eat once a week, clean the garage on the weekend and also the pool. They get to play any sport, pick their equipment and go fishing when they want. my oldest 15, had a summer job, now we make him buy his things (non sport necessities, like his girlfriend's birthday present).

How can anyone learn how to manage or save money if they dont learn to earn? This is a problem today.... My kids at 4years old got $4 per week and had small tasks to earn.. If they wanted to waste it at the dollar store on junk, I let them... It did not take long for them to realize that if they wanted an $8 dollar toy, They had to save for another week. If they wanted a $10 toy, 3 weeks etc... They made choices and lived with them... Now a 24 and 25 years old, They are in better shape than most kids their age... Both have a nice saving and no debt other than housing...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

13. Banned
    Our daughter is 11 and my wife gives her $40 a week for lunch & play, she has the option to buy her lunch at school and spend some money or she can take her lunch to save her money. So far, she is doing a fantastic job of spending all of it by mid week on snacks after school for her friends. Definitely not a saver like I was.

Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    Most kids today want everything handed to them.Think they owe nothing in return.When I was a kid I had to work cutting lawns in the summer and picking pecans in the fall,to get my spending money.

never really did get an allowance as a kid, but i learned at an early age if you wanted something you had to work for it, Thanks Dad
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

15. Member
    I am raising 2 grand kids. They have chores to do. The 8 year old helps me mow the lawn. I bought him a small battery powered weed eater. I am teaching him to mow with the zero turn mower. The 6 year old is the trash guy. They both help fold towels and they are required to pick up after themselves. They have to keep their rooms clean. They are also learning to wash the car and the truck. Their weekly allowance is $10-$13 dollars depending on how hard they worked that week. If I have to tell them to do one of their assigned tasks it costs them a dollar for every time I have to remind them. Let's just say I haven't had to remind them in a long long time. They have learned the value of a dollar. I took the 6 year old to the store with me the other day. He was looking at a toy and then he puts it back on the rack. I said what you don't like that? He said man that thing is a piece of junk for the price they are asking. He says I think I will just hold on to my money Dad. I just smile and say probably a good idea son. I am proud of those kids.
    Last edited by BulletTJ; 09-15-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

16. Member
    Wife gives me $200 a month

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthunter5 View Post
    Wife gives me $200 a month
    You should get rid of the wife!

18. Goby King
    Me and the wife give ourselves $50/week for walking around money.

19. Member
    I started out getting 3 bucks and as I got a little older got 5 a week. I had to do all sorts of stuff including cleaning the pool.

I will never have a pool on my property ever.

Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    Me and the wife give ourselves $50/week for walking around money.
    $50? What do you buy that $50 lasts a week? I give Bri $200ish a week for fuel, lunch etc..shes in med school. Anything beyond that she just tells me what she needs.

The kid gets paid to do dog poop clean-up...if she doesn't do that she doesn't get any money nor does she watch tv that next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast