Unhappy 2012 sho power head please

I have a 2012 Yamaha 250 sho. Power head went lost compression in cylinder 6. Got a price for 14 thousand to put a new one on. Are there any other alternatives ? Has anyone used a refurbished one? If so what's a good company to deal with. If block is good what's average price of a rebuild? Motor has less than 250hrs on it. Any help would be great. Very frustrating.

2. Member
    I think I would contact Hydro Tec and see what they say.
    Last edited by 1Holeshot; 09-15-2019 at 04:46 PM.

3. Member
    Thanks , I will look them up.

4. Member
    Is there any new info on a replacement power head ???

5. Member
    No sir. I'm still sick to my stomach.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogNFlip View Post
    No sir. I'm still sick to my stomach.
    Call Yamaha!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Then you will be really sick

8. Member
    Yamaha was contacted by dealer and they won't do anything ��. Might have to go Merc.Pro Xs

9. Member
    You need to call Yamaha. My brother has a 2011 that got water in the crank case and was out of warranty. After calling Yamaha got a new power head at no cost. And guess what? The new power head lost compression in cylinder 6 when the dealer installed it. If you maintained the engine and has low hours it’s a defect!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

If Yamaha replaces your powerhead after 7 years, let me know.

11. Member
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

12. bullyfish
    Go with Suzuki Yamaha are used to stand for reliability not anymore over engineer junk. I have 1500 hours on my air cooled zero turn mower motor zero problems. But Yamaha can’t design a motor that is reliable. Suzuki are pretty much bulletproof. Now there will be a bunch of people get on here and say how great Yamaha are

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    If Yamaha replaces your powerhead after 7 years, let me know.
    They replaced my brothers after 8! Not saying they will in all cases but you need to fight for yourself. If your out of warranty the dealer won't care.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    They replaced my brothers after 8! Not saying they will in all cases but you need to fight for yourself. If your out of warranty the dealer won't care.
    Would you care to elaborate on this.......seems it would have to be catastrophic & manufacturer defect, which should have shown up before 8 years. Thanks

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on this.......seems it would have to be catastrophic & manufacturer defect, which should have shown up before 8 years. Thanks
    On a fishing trip. After fishing for few hours went to start the motor and it started smoking real bad but was running. Stopped and started the motor a few more times and it stopped smoking. There was no alarm or indication anything was wrong. We drove the boat back to the ramp and removed the cowling and checked the oil via the dip stick and it was all milky for about 8-10 inches up the stick. We realized it had water in the crankcase. My brother took the boat to the local Yamaha dealer and they called him back after they checked it out and said of course water in crankcase. I believe they told him the motor over heated and cracked the head or blew the head gasket. Again, we did not get any audible or other alarm and there was no computer history of the motor ever over heating. My bother took the motor in for service every year and the motor only had around 130 hours on it but was way out of warranty. Of course the dealer told him that he would have to buy another power head so I told my brother to call Yamaha and give them the details and what the dealer said. At first Yamaha was being stubborn but my brother wouldn't let them off the hook and told them about the power head replacement bulletin Yamaha had done and at that point Yamaha decided to replace the power head at no cost to him! There is no way any motor should get water in the crank case unless you abuse it or it has a catastrophic failure most likely due to abuse or defect. And in this OP you should not have lost compression in a cylinder at 200 hours unless the motor was not taken care of or there was a catastrophic failure due to abuse or defect. Now, I have no idea how the OP took care of their motor but if they had annual maintenance done and there was no history of abuse or other issues it is a Yamaha problem, plain and simple and at the minimum they need to work with the person to fix the motor. That is what I would demand from Yamaha and my dealer.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

16. Member
    In what year was your brother's replaced?

17. Member
    Two weeks ago I bought a totally rebuilt 2012 Yamaha SHO MOTOR (not just a powerhead) from Hydrotec for $11K installed. I'd call them first... here's a link to the motor I bought. It's a 225, but the power heads for 200-250 are all the same....call Wayne at Hydrotec.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogNFlip View Post
    In what year was your brother's replaced?
    This year. It failed last April and he finally got the boat back from the dealer in early August.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

19. Member
    Will do thanks.