Volt Meter Installation

I think I know the answer but wanted to ask the electrical experts. I want to install a stand alone volt meter but would like to know what gauge wire I should use. I know it’s critical concerning electronics and the trolling motor but was wondering how critical it is concerning the meter. I’m assuming it’s not as critical since it is not under a load like the electronics and trolling motor. I’m guessing there really shouldn’t be any voltage drop to the meter since there is no load. I will run the wire straight from the battery to a switch then to the volt meter. This way I can cut off the meter so it’s not always on but will make it easy to check my voltage. I know there will some limitations to the wire size since the back of the meter just has 2 spade connectors. I appreciate your opinions.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Since the voltmeter is a very high impedance device, the size of the wire is not important. If you want to measure the voltage of all your batteries you can run a multi conductor wire from all batteries in the back up to the console switch. You can also include a small wire for ground that comes from each battery. So, you would need a double pole switch with as many positions as you have batteries plus a position for "off". The multi conductor wire would need 6 conductors if you want to measure voltage from three batteries. The size of the conductors could be as small as 18 or 22 gauge.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Just remember, you have to run a negative and positive for each battery and you have to switch those too. You also need a fuse in each pair.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Thanks Rkammer & CatFan. That’s what I was kinda thinking but wasn’t completely sure. I was only concerned about my cranking battery but that’s a good idea about the switches for all the batteries. I think I will do that and it will be very easy to check all 3 of my batteries with a flip of the switches. I’ll just get a 6 inductor wire & knock them all out a once.
    Thanks again.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Regarding the fuses, they should be located close to each battery and only need to be on each positive lead. And, they can be small size fuses like one amp or so since very little current flows through the meter.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]