What prop and jack plate setting for 150 pro xs 2 stroke on 189 trxwhen I get it. I e

Just bought a practically new 2017 189 trx that has 24 hrs on motor and picking it up Friday but trying to just see what specs on prop and pitch and what people are setting their manual jack plates up with this boat? Looking at the boat it appears guy has the plate all the way down just wanted to kinda get a idea for starting point. I’ve never messed with a jack plate or changing props since I’m coming from a tracker pt 175. Thanks

2. Member
    Start at 3.5" under and work your way up. Are you sure it's a 2 stroke the mercury pro xs that year was the new 4 stroke. It could be a 2016 150 pro xs 2 stroke. Either a 22" or 23" tempest plus depending on how you load it is what I would run on it. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 This will show you how to measure prop to pad.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Start at 3.5" under and work your way up. Are you sure it's a 2 stroke the mercury pro xs that year was the new 4 stroke. It could be a 2016 150 pro xs 2 stroke. Either a 22" or 23" tempest plus depending on how you load it is what I would run on it. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 This will show you how to measure prop to pad.
    Its the 2 stroke. I’ll check it out when I pick it up Friday. But I do know guy has jackplate bottomed out

I have same boat and motor. I have messed with this setup for a few years. The most optimal I have found is as follow. My JP is a little under 3.5 prop to pad. 12.7 psi water pressure at WOT. Running full load with 21p tempest in summer i can run 55-56. Running 22p tempest during winter months I am running 57ish. I could never turn a 23p to my liking. The boat is heavy but rides really well fishes even better. I have seen at times running my 21p tempest full load two people during summer months I could only get 53-54mph WOT. I do have alot of stuff on my boat tho. Powerpoles, Ultrex (they are heavy), and probably too much tackle.

5. Member
    I have the same model year boat and same motor with no jack plate running a 21 tempest plus. By myself I can run 57.

6. Member
    21 Tempest is normally the prop that comes with the boat.

7. Banned
    Same boat as mine, essentially. Run mine at 3.5" P2P. Depending on your load you'll see anywhere from low to mid-upper 50's. Now, I sent my 21P Tempest Plus off to Croxton for B&B with just a touch more cup. On a cool late fall day it managed to hit 61.3 MPH.

Typically, with full tournament load, full tank of fuel and two people I'm running mid 50's.

The 18XS/189TrX/18TrX isn't really built for speed. It's heavy and has a forward keel design, which is great for a softer ride in rougher water.