MinnKota heading sensor/Point 1 calibration issues

Hello,
    Bought my self a new boat recently.
    Yesterday I was on the water and I wanted to calibrate my Terrova heading sensor and the Point 1 gps antenna.
    Both failed numerous times. I have my doubts if the speakers are causing this? See pic below. The Point 1 is located on the other side on the same location near a speaker as well. Everything is installed by the Crestliner dealer. Any thoughts?

IMG_20190914_184715.jpg

2. Member
    Probably is your issue. Put a compass next to it and see if the irectin is distorted...if so..there is your problem
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Probably is your issue. Put a compass next to it and see if the irectin is distorted...if so..there is your problem
    ^^^^^
    More than likely this. They both have an internal compass which make them sensitive to any magnetic interference. The magnets from the speakers can cause interference. Just move a compass around the area and see if it jumps around a lot. This will let you know right away.
    Good Luck
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

4. Member
    Thanks. I will give it a try next time I'm on the boat. I also contacted the dealer today about this problem. He answered that he installed multiple boats this way and never had any problems so far. I also have some ideas myself I like to try. Keep you informed.
    Last edited by Dutch_Angler; 09-16-2019 at 11:10 AM.

5. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    All speakers have giant magnets in them.... so yes...you need to move them!

Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    All speakers have giant magnets in them.... so yes...you need to move them!

^^^ Right there.... Your dealer's a putz.

7. Member
    Next time - shop somewhere else.

8. Member
    Made an appointment and went back to the dealer last week. We relocated both antenna's/sensors and problems are gone now. Calibrations worked like a charm at first attempt last friday when I was on the water. Sorted!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_Angler View Post
    Thanks. I will give it a try next time I'm on the boat. I also contacted the dealer today about this problem. He answered that he installed multiple boats this way and never had any problems so far. I also have some ideas myself I like to try. Keep you informed.
    Even if what your dealer said is true, did they test it after the install? I have a new Humminbird compass sensor sitting on my front porch delivered today that I'm installing Thursday night when I get back to my boat. I would think that even without taking on water they could look at a base map view and see if where heading is pointing makes sense.
    I have a very recent thread on here about these heading sensors that may be helpful to you. I had a lot of similar questions answered by knowledgeable folks on here.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1009820

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Even if what your dealer said is true, did they test it after the install?
    He said he did but admitted also he maybe did not test it good enough and excused for it. I didn`t make an issue of it because they are very kind and helpful people and eventually the problem was solved.

But now I think of it I have actually another question. I have 3 Elite units on board all linked together on Nmea 2000. Do you need to repeat the Point-1 calibration procedure on each individual unit? Or is it enough if you do it on just one unit in the network?

12. Member
    The calibration is for the Point 1 not the units, ergo, once is enough.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    The calibration is for the Point 1 not the units, ergo, once is enough.

NoCAL
    Thanks NoCAL!