250 HPDI Metal shavings in fuel pump. Death Sentence?

Took my boat in because my 07 250 HPDI had a slight hesitation during the hole shot. The motor would miss two or three times as it was ramping up the rpms out of the hole and then as soon as I got on plane would run fine. Mechanic said it was the lift pumps and while replacing them he said he noticed some metal shavings behind them I believe. He showed me what looked like a gasket and it had some small metal flakes on it. He also said that he took the plug out of the #6 cylinder and could see where there was some scoring on the cylinder walls from debris getting in there somehow.

Pretty much said my only options were a rebuild (6-8K since they caught it early) or a repower. Motor runs fine right now. Since I'm not really interested in putting much money into a 2 stroke that is over 10 years old, I Imagine I will just run the motor until it blows and then put a four stroke on the boat.

Just curious if anyone had any ideas on how I could prolong the life of the motor. Would be nice if it would get me through the rest of the season (<2 months). Thanks.

Maybe I’m just a little slow. How would metal
    shavings from a piston get to the lift pumps?
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I'm not really sure. The way he explained it, I was having a hard time following everything. I hope I explained everything correctly in my original post. I'll see if I can post a pic of the part he removed that had the shavings on it. Thanks for the reply.

4. Member
    Call Chris Carson Marine and/or Hydrotec.

They are very good with those engines. You will get the best information, for making decisions.

Rebuild costs now may be lower now, and if you plan on keeping your boat, may be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    Call Chris Carson Marine and/or Hydrotec.

They are very good with those engines. You will get the best information, for making decisions.

Rebuild costs now may be lower now, and if you plan on keeping your boat, may be a good option.
    Ok, thanks for the info.

Here is the part he showed me to illustrate where the metal shavings were. I'm (obviously) not much of an outboard mechanic, so I'm guessing this is part of the housing for the pump and a gasket. About half of the metal shavings have fallen off since it was first shown to me.

IMG_1870_zps9lmcgnu7.jpg

7. Member
    I would get a second opinion. Sounds some what fishy.
    2001 Champion 206, Yamaha 250 V-Max hpdi
    1997 Nitro Savage 884, Mercury150 XR6, 8" Slidemaster Jack Plate

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbassman View Post
    I would get a second opinion. Sounds some what fishy.
    I would agree with this.

I see no possible way that metal shavings from a bad cylinder could work there way back into the fuel line to get inside of LP pump. As others have stated find another mechanic.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

As much as I hate to bring back a thread from six months ago, I thought I would update things.

First of all I appreciate all the replies and suggestions. Secondly, where I am now is a bit bittersweet. I ended up repowering with a new SHO, which is awesome. Ive got about another 35 minutes of hour two of the break in and then I can open it up a little. Everything about that motor has been great so far. For some reason I can't get my NMEA data to show up on my fish finder yet, but I should be able to figure that out soon.

While my boat was in the (different) shop being repowered, I explained what the previous shop told me about my HPDI and asked them to take a look at it before they yanked it off my boat so I could get an idea of what to tell whoever ends up buying my old outboard. They said they ran a compression test and all the cylinders were fine and there were no mechanical problems with the engine that they could find. He said there was a fuel pressure fault code in there, but that may have been from my previous problem and never got cleared. I should add I put about 6 hours on the engine after the "death sentence" I got back in September, and the engine ran/started fine and I actually would never known I had a potential problem.

So here we are today, I'm loving my new outboard and I have one that is in relatively good shape that I can sell. Things could be worse.