Top off batteries every night before I go fish

Today being nice go for 4 hours

only had 2 helix 12 g2n on and no pumps

trolled around for a bit started engine to get away from dock

trolled with front ulterra for 2 hours

went to start engine and click click click graphs shut off

glad i had me jump pack, but man this battery sucks being 1.5 years old

I bet the interstate center will say it tests fine

Anyone have experience with them ? tempted to run the battery down before I go in for warranty

I bought a pair of Cabelas best AGM's and the lasted 18mos. Got them replaced a total of 3 times in 4yrs. They told me it looked like I was abusing the warranty. I brought it up on this board and a few said just get Walmart Everstart Maxx 29's. Granted, these were for the TM batts, but my point is AGM's are questionable at best. By the way, my Walmart Maxx batts are 3yrs old and still fish a long, windy day without an issue. My cranking batt is a Deka. Also never an issue and BBC guys recommend. I don't have big graphs though.
    Scott Inman

3. Member
    I have found that modern chart plotters are juice hogs. No matter whether Low or Bird. I’ve had both and battery troubles. The North Star X2 is all I have found that will last with them.

4. Member
    I've had quite a few interstates over the years, and have never had one go beyond 1.5 years. They are junk.

My opinion is, Interstate is garbage.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

6. Member
    Easiest way to check a marginal battery or problem battery charge, check voltage let it sit for 2-3 day with nothing hooked to it, and if voltage drops battery is bad. Many times when they do a crank test the battery will show as good.

I just went thru 3 Deka batteries in 18 months in my vehicle each one would drop voltage when it sat.

7. Member
    I second that opinion. 1.5 years and Group 31 Agm died recently and was maintained 100% correctly.

8. Member
    I was lucky to get 1.5 years out of my Interstate G31 batteries in Vegas. Usually only got a year. Heat kills, especially there :)

Have had very good luck, so far (knock on wood) with the Sam’s Club Duracell G31 AGM batteries, but that’s up here in MN now.

9. Member
    Wal mart's 29 series deep cycle batteries are by far the best. At $106. With a trade in,you can't go wrong. I believe that quite a few people are sucked in, by thinking the higher end batteries must be the best.

10. Member
    Still running a 2016 Interstate 31AGM cranking a 250 verado and running lowrance hds 12"x2 and 9"x2, pumps, etc. If you have a 1, 1+2, 2 battery selector switch make sure your trolling motor isn't also pulling on the cranking battery. Charge the batteries with the battery compartment lid open.

11. Member
    All batteries are bad batteries, if it fails on you. I have had an Interstate that defied everything that should have sent it to the recycler and it just kept going and going. Once I went to start my boat and the Interstate was dead. I looked in the cells and it had run dry. I was too lazy to go back to the house for water so I took off the caps and held it overboard until it filled with creek (brackish) water. I let it sit 5 minutes and it started and ran another 3 years.
    Right now I use the Sam's Duracell and Everstarts.

12. Member
    Now that's a manly fix! Must have been the salt in the water. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I just swapped out my 9 year old Interstate deep cycle wet cells. Awesome batteries.

I bet 9 years ago they were made better than they are now!
    Scott Inman

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    My opinion is, Interstate is garbage.
    I agree. I have NEVER had good luck with Interstate. I never, ever, got more than 1 summer out of them up here in the North. I will never purchase them again.

M

16. Member
    Buy a Deka 31 agm and forget about dead battery problems .

17. Member
    well my new X2 had no issues running pumps graphs all day long and cranking with authority. big difference from this interstate agm crap the boat came with. before I could not start graphs up and have them networked online and start engine, i’d have to wait to start engine else they would blimp off sometimes

18. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Yep, I don't use them any more either. Deka is what is in the boat now and are terrific. Having batteries for x amount of years doesn't tell the whole story. Batteries can only be charged so many times and that's it. I too couldn't get more that 8-9 months out of a Interstate trolling battery. My boat gets used twice a week for 46 weeks a year with most of the time on the troller. The Deka's outperform the Interstates in every way IMO.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67