Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Have a 2020 Erya, Merc 4S 250, poles, with lithium trolling batteries. Dealer gave me a Fury3 25, I did not like the holeshot down here in Florida in our heat. Got a Fury3 24, much better holeshot and have seen 78 mph by myself. I believe once I am at 78-79 I am turning over 6100 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Albertson View Post
    Have a 2020 Erya, Merc 4S 250, poles, with lithium trolling batteries. Dealer gave me a Fury3 25, I did not like the holeshot down here in Florida in our heat. Got a Fury3 24, much better holeshot and have seen 78 mph by myself. I believe once I am at 78-79 I am turning over 6100 RPM.
    Do you have a bobs plate on it? I'm going to plug all my pvs holes I think and try and run mine up beyond 2, it just ventilates like crazy anything over 2 on the gauge right now.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

3. Member
    Is the prop letting loose just as the nose pitches over then reconnecting as the nose drops? It has gotten to where i know it is about to happen, and i let off the throttle just a bit just as the prop starts to let loose and then put it back WOT just as it reconnects. Is kinda getting to where I don't even think about it anymore. I think that cavitation right on break over is normal. I think working the throttle a little bit to help keep the prop a little better connected helps me with hole shot. I'm no expert but might be something to mess around with.

I tried putting in one plug right when I got the boat, but it really made the hole shot bad, was probably over 10 seconds for me. Took the plug right out. Am interested to hear how your experimentation goes.

FWIW i'm running lithiums, all 4 batteries.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Do you have a bobs plate on it? I'm going to plug all my pvs holes I think and try and run mine up beyond 2, it just ventilates like crazy anything over 2 on the gauge right now.
    Louie,

I do have a Bob's, start it high and drop it as the boats breaks over like everyone stated.

5. Member
    I drop the Bob's to 1 1/2 when I am actually running. Probably have it up to around 4 when I go to jump up. It will start to vent if you are not dropping the jackplate once the boat get up, but like other guys have said you can feather the throttle or trim to keep it in there.

6. Member
    I have a 20 eyra with poles 250 pro xs 4s and a bobs running a 24p fury 3 with no holes plugged. I start off with the bobs almost to 3 mat the throttle and as soon as the bow comes up I start the bobs down until I come up on plane( it should end up below 2 on the gauge). I then tap up the trim and the raise the bobs back to 2 on the gauge. It took some experimenting but this process was working for me in the summer heat. I can take off with the plate set at 2 but it will blow out just a little and can be managed by simply feathering the throttle. When I get 2 people and water in the live wells I prefer to adjust the plate as I described.

Steve and Mobass46, your replies are in line with each other have you tried plugging off all of the pvs ports? And raising the plate even higher?

I spoke with someone on here who told me to give that a try. I also spoke with Kevin Short last night, and he told me the xs and fs are not the same prop at all... and the fs does not work well with the new merc 4s. He said if I had to go to a 4 blade he would look at a 25 bravo xs. Its funny that he said they were different as I had seen a guy with a ranger run both and one worked better than the other even though they claim to be the same prop with less pvs holes.

8. Member
    I have tried running the plate higher and it works but it takes a little more finesse as it blows out more. I will raise the plate almost all the way up if I'm trying to get on plane in shallow water, you have to feather the throttle more and get the plate back down to get the prop to bite once the bow comes up but with a little practice you can master the technique. In deeper water the process I described works the best for me. I haven't tried a four blade yet, I do have a couple of fury4 props I might try someday just for fun. The more I drive this setup the happier I am with the 24 fury 3, it has taken me several hours of seat time to get it dialed in and I'm still learning. I haven't tried any plugs in the fury 3 yet, I get too preoccupied with fishing to play with the setup most days!

Back to post results of what I found to work best maybe it will help others. I had no holes plugged in the fury 3 blade 24p, I ended up adding one open hole pvs plug, bobs on 2 and hit it will get up pretty good I would say around 4-5 seconds depending on fuel. Fully loaded (co angler- live well full) it still did not get out of the hole well around 7-8 seconds. I got my hands on a bravo xs 25 and 26. The 25 ran out of rpms and topped at 70mph. Hole shot was insane. I'll keep the 26 xs on there now... Hole shot full fuel just me, can run the bobs up to about 3, and its about 3-4 seconds. I filled the livewell and it dropped into the 4-4.5 second range. I was able to make a few top end passes the other day and saw 75.2 @5990. I'm sure it may run 76-77, which is about as fast as I'm currently comfortable driving at.... I have had the 3 blade up to those speeds and it takes alot more driving/ Ill need more seat time. The 26 bravo needs little to no input from the drive to run that speed. I was able to stay on plane at 19-21 mph. Fuel economy went up alot as well, and crusing speeds around 40-50 the boat lifts that of the 3 blade at 60... I also plugged 4 holes solid on this prop closest to the blades.

10. Member
    Sounds like you found the perfect all around prop. In cool weather it should really haul the mail!!!
    For me the hole shot has always be the Eyra’s Achilles heal. Otherwise it’s the perfect 20 footer.

A 4 second hole shot with live wells full and alone is quick and plenty satisfactory.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    Louie,

I will give that prop a try. I am happy with the 24 F3, but I can get sluggish with my fishing partners ridiculous co-angler tackle bag.

12. Member
    Maybe lightening the tackle and gear from up front.
    Help the boat run out through it’s designed performance range.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Sounds like you found the perfect all around prop. In cool weather it should really haul the mail!!!
    For me the hole shot has always be the Eyra’s Achilles heal. Otherwise it’s the perfect 20 footer.

A 4 second hole shot with live wells full and alone is quick and plenty satisfactory.

Don
    I played around this weekend, full fuel, livewell full and co angler, I would still say it was a 5-6 sec hole shot. Day two I took a pvs plug out, and that was a mistake!!! Hole shot was terrible. I actually think I'm going to move some gear more towards the middle or bow of the boat to aid pushing the nose down. Boat still ran 74-75 loaded. Co anglers weight made a massive difference. I had 4 solid plugs in, took one out, and the hole shot suffered, amazes me that can make such a large difference. I added it back and one additional large hole to the first row of pvs holes will report back after running it like that.

The 250 will not turn a 25 Fury for everyday applications. People are trying to improve performance on the 250 Pro XS. We have hundreds of hours with that engine and this hull (Eyra) testing more variations than anyone, yes anyone can have. The Eyra was one of the main Beta platforms to validate this particular engine. The engine turns up to 6200 RPM and it should be set up to turn up to 6200. The 25 will not efficiently turn 6200 loaded or empty, only if it’s over elevated and slipping.

Yes, there are albatross’s that can turn different wheels and individuals who have run applications different. For most common anglers we continue to suggest the 24 Fury and we feel anything else leaves something on the table for most.

Funny timing, We just met yesterday with the former Mercury director of integration engineering, whom we worked hand in with on the project. That was an interesting conversation and this topic came up on where they were headed and where the project came to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The 250 will not turn a 25 Fury for everyday applications. People are trying to improve performance on the 250 Pro XS. We have hundreds of hours with that engine and this hull (Eyra) testing more variations than anyone, yes anyone can have. The Eyra was one of the main Beta platforms to validate this particular engine. The engine turns up to 6200 RPM and it should be set up to turn up to 6200. The 25 will not efficiently turn 6200 loaded or empty, only if it’s over elevated and slipping.

Yes, there are albatross’s that can turn different wheels and individuals who have run applications different. For most common anglers we continue to suggest the 24 Fury and we feel anything else leaves something on the table for most.

Funny timing, We just met yesterday with the former Mercury director of integration engineering, whom we worked hand in with on the project. That was an interesting conversation and this topic came up on where they were headed and where the project came to.
    I called and asked Jason B directly about props on that rig he didn't have advice. In turn I was directed to talk with Kevin Short. The 25 bravo xs was too small the boat ran out of rpm's quickly (which kevin recommended). I have been seeing about 5990 at 75.2 with the 26p with my set up (poles, garmin force, 4 31 series batteries) It does not seem too affected up top with added weight over whats on the boat. It does change the hole shot some. I guess most cat guys are not willing to give up any top end speed and I have struggled to find anyone thats played with the Bravo much other than Kensaku at SDG in Japan. I'm sure the 24/3 fury is the optimal prop I will hold on to mine for this winter as I fish alone alot more. But I think a 26 bravo xs with some pvs plugs is hard to beat as a all around performer as well if you can give up a bit of top end. A long run around here on my lakes is 12-16 miles, most runs are within visual range and you have to drive around a ton of pleasure boats or floating debris. It should be noted on this post I dug up... I have not had this boat long, I just hit the 20 hour mark and will change the oil this week. But I hands down is one of the easier driving rigs. I see no reason to go 77+ around here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12