Replace hard Ultrex cover ?

Has anyone cut off the hard cable cover on a Minn Kota ultrex and replaced it the a Neoprene cover ?

I replaced that stiff-unruly- P@S with a heavy duty braided sleeving. Wire care has about any kind you can imagine.
    https://www.wirecare.com/category/br...ing/heavy-duty

3. Member
    So how “manageable” is the wire bundle after you made the change? I would think it is the cabling itself that seems to make it so unruly.

A lot.

5. Member
    What size and length did you use?

I used this, it will take 6ft. you have to unhook everything to use this one.. They make some that velcros and also some that is split.
    The 1" is tight 1.25 might be better and a 5 ft piece may do it.. be sure to measure yours if you order.
    https://www.wirecare.com/category/br...lack-5-ft-cuts

7. Member
    Thanks. May give it a try - not sure about unhooking everything (I have a tendency to create paperweights when I do things like that!). I appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I used this, it will take 6ft. you have to unhook everything to use this one.. They make some that velcros and also some that is split.
    The 1" is tight 1.25 might be better and a 5 ft piece may do it.. be sure to measure yours if you order.
    https://www.wirecare.com/category/br...lack-5-ft-cuts
    This is a very interesting idea. When you say "unhook everything"; what exactly are you referring to? Unhook from the head or the pedal?
    How about some pics, Sparky?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I took them loose from the head. Its not as tough as you might think, just pay attention and take a few pictures as you go.
    Discovered why some will not lay good no mater which way you try to unkink by turning the foot pedal. The cables on mine looked like a kid trying to braid his first scout project.
    https://motors.johnsonoutdoors.com/P...016_Foot_Pedal

10. Member
    I have been using a different one. I started using on motors out of warranty. If the jacket is bad then I replace it with a new jacket just because it is still under warranty.
    The one I use is UV resistant and is very flexible. I order it not knowing how it would do. I am very pleaded with it's flexibility and looks. I ordered the 1.375"(1 3/8"). That is a little too big a round.
    I will order again and go to 1 1/8. I will post the brand when I get back to the shop.

I have always hated the cable bundle on my Ultrex. It was perfectly flat when I took it out of the box but by the time I got it installed, it was a pigtail. Same story when John Jones upgraded the cables. Looks fine, then works itself into a loop. I have a 52'' which I have always blamed for the problem.

Does the braided sleeve let the cable bundle more or less lay flat and not be so ornery?

Is the braided sleeve a magnet for every treble hook that come near it? I have wasted many minutes working to get a hook out of a braided rod sleeve, and I can get to both sides on them.

Will the cables eventually get twisted like with the OEM cover?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I'm sure if you hook the braid it will be stuck.. So far I've avoided that.
    If you take your time hooking the cables and wires back up and make dang sure they are not twisted or interwound the only way to get a kink is to turn the pedal over.
    Its definitely less "ornery" As for laying totally flat that may never happen. But it should be a lot better than before. I know mine is .

Good info...thank a lot!!
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.