Motorguide Xi5 problems

I just purchased and installed a Motorguide Xi5 and the anchor lock feature is giving me problems.
    Anchor lock engages OK when I hit the button, but then it disconnects within a few minutes. I have done the calibration routine several times, but it does not help.
    Is this a common problem? Has anyone else had this issue?

2. Member
    I have not had any similar issues. But, I do know that for some when this has happened they replaced the batteries in the remote and the problem went away. Just because it is new (assuming it is) doesn't mean the remote batteries are still good. Easy thing to try anyway.

Are you connected to a NMEA network, using the Pinpoint gateway cable? Also, when it drops anchor lock, does it still have GPS signal or make any noises? The Satellite blue light should still be on if it has maintained the GPS signal.

3. Member
    I have had a couple in the shop that did this. One the GPS module had to be replaced. The second I got a electronic key from MG and reloaded the program and fixed that problem. I would bring to service center and have them look at it. Warranty?

4. Member
    It is not connected to a NMEA network and the Satellite light changes from blinking to a solid light when the anchor lock disconnects.

The trolling motor is only two weeks old so it is under warranty. I hate to have to take it in for service already.
    It kinda makes me wonder if I should have gone with Minnkota.

5. Member
    Open the lid on the head of the TM. Make sure the wires with a load are all the way over to one side, and the GPS-reciver is all the way over to the other side. If they are one big bundle, the engine will loose GPS every time power is aplied due to the magnetic interference from the power-wires. I have now seen three Xi5 where everything was bundled in the head, thus a lot of GPS-related issues. So someone at the MG-factory was mentally asleep there for a while...

After seperating the wires, do the calibration again.

6. Member
    I had to take my Xi5 trolling motor to the local service center and they found the circuit board needed to be replaced.
    I just wanted to leave the final resolution in case anyone has a similar problem..

Mine did that when I first got it 6 years ago, MG sent me a card to reflash the GPS and it's worked flawlessly since. Only issue I have had with it are the springs in the pedal keep breaking and just last week the GPS indicator light isn't working, I bought a new cover light assembly to fix that.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay's snake View Post
    I had to take my Xi5 trolling motor to the local service center and they found the circuit board needed to be replaced.
    I just wanted to leave the final resolution in case anyone has a similar problem..
    That's terrible that a circiut board had to be replaced in a two week old unit. Sounds like MG has some poor QC on those units.

Did you calibrate the angle, not gps but mounting angle
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

10. Member
    Well...I bought it online so it had to survive the delivery driver and then I dropped it off my work bench. So I'm not sure who broke it honestly.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    That's terrible that a circiut board had to be replaced in a two week old unit. Sounds like MG has some poor QC on those units.
    Most electronics fail in a short time or are good for a long time.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Most electronics fail in a short time or are good for a long time.
    Or some updates broken it.
    TM MG isn't networked at this point- I mean TM since 2018/2019. Actually there is another problem with MFD -anchoring feature- TM losting position, turning of. Oldest issues- losting route, no anchoring to waypoint from MFD- are not solved.
    Very disappointing.

13. Member
    You have a bad GPS module. Get it replaced and all your issues will go away. It is around $410.00, however they are on backorder. It has a 2 year warranty. It could still be under warranty. Call Motor Guide. Plead your case and see if they will help you.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    You have a bad GPS module. Get it replaced and all your issues will go away. It is around $410.00, however they are on backorder. It has a 2 year warranty. It could still be under warranty. Call Motor Guide. Plead your case and see if they will help you.
    Yes, I have bad GPS module- exchanged by local CS. Motherboard was repaced too. They check all add modules - all was broken, It's software problem- remote features work perfect. I checked my MSD and network with old Xi5- 2017yr modell- working perfect with all network features.
    Last edited by MaciejK; 06-30-2020 at 01:13 PM.