Oil Reservoir leaking

Have any of you guys came up with something to stop the oil reservoir from leaking or to catch the oil that does leak to prevent the oil from going all over everything ? I know this is a common issue , I have ran the reservoir half full but it still happens. Do you guys have any ideas other than getting a 4 stroke. Everything is tight by the way.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Talking about tank in bilge area? Maybe wrap a rag around the fill port/hose. I placed a rag between tank and wall...helps some but like u, stil have leaking....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Talking about tank in bilge area? Maybe wrap a rag around the fill port/hose. I placed a rag between tank and wall...helps some but like u, stil have leaking....
    I was thinking about a rag but I'm also thinking about making a tray out of fiberglass that tank will fit in to catch the oil before it gets all over the place. Maybe in a few years I will get the 4 stroke

4. Member
    I replaced the lid and gasket that screws on to the top of the reservoir (inside the bilge area) on my last boat and that took care of the problem. Almost like the gasket had failed or broke down but once I replaced it everything was fine.

5. Member
    I have seen a bit of oil coming out of my drain plug from time to time and wondered where did that come from. My guess is that filling the tank anywhere near the top somehow lets it out a hose somewhere. I tend to run 1/2 to 5/8 full now. has seemed to help.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947