Selling a boat in a state that does not require a boat title?

I am going to be selling a boat to the guy in Tennessee which does not require a boat title. I have a clean title for the boat in hand. Do I still sign that title over to him or just give him a bill of sale with o all of the particulars on it.

2. Member
    I have concern let the boat will stay in my name without a title transfer.

Sign the title over to him. He will take it to his dmv and they will give him
    a registration which is how they do their ownership. It acts as their title
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Sign the title over to him. He will take it to his dmv and they will give him
    a registration which is how they do their ownership. It acts as their title
    ^^^This

(606)305-1956

5. Member
    thanks all

6. Member
    Look on your respected states website, they might have a form for you to fill out, stating you sold the boat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Look on your respected states website, they might have a form for you to fill out, stating you sold the boat.
    Thank you for that I probably would have missed it. The Form was attached to the top of the title

8. Member
    Just went through this as buyer. I live in TN and purchased boat in Virginia. I just took the bill of sale and registration card to the clerk and got it transfered into my name. We are waiting for the official title to be released from sellers lending company. Once the boat ownership is changed, that piece of paper (title) is meaningless, or so I've been told. I'm just going to hold onto it incase its ever needed when I sell the boat.
    2013 Legend 211R
    2017 Ford F-150 Ecoboost

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 97tr21 View Post
    Just went through this as buyer. I live in TN and purchased boat in Virginia. I just took the bill of sale and registration card to the clerk and got it transfered into my name. We are waiting for the official title to be released from sellers lending company. Once the boat ownership is changed, that piece of paper (title) is meaningless, or so I've been told. I'm just going to hold onto it incase its ever needed when I sell the boat.
    Thanks for mentioning the registration card. Will the clerk need that?

My state FL did not title the trailer but I am going to give the buyer the original cert of origin. Will TN title the trailer?
    Last edited by csurp; 09-14-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Each state has a website that probably has FAQs that covers what you need in regards to complere sale.

11. Member
    Do a bill of sale and you can file a form with your state saying you sold it. Coming from a guy who just bought a boat from Tennessee, give him all titles and tell him to keep them for the next buyer.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Each state has a website that probably has FAQs that covers what you need in regards to complere sale.
    I just discovered that TN requires the buyer to present a notorized bill of sale in order to transfer ownership. Glad I looked. I want this to go smooth for the buyer

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Thanks for mentioning the registration card. Will the clerk need that?

My state FL did not title the trailer but I am going to give the buyer the original cert of origin. Will TN title the trailer?

No title on trailer. Just bill of sale, previous owners registration card and your checkbook. I am lucky and live in a city that has a TWRA office. I went straight from the clerk to TWRA and got it all finished up. You may have to mail in the paperwork from the clerk
    2013 Legend 211R
    2017 Ford F-150 Ecoboost

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    I just discovered that TN requires the buyer to present a notorized bill of sale in order to transfer ownership. Glad I looked. I want this to go smooth for the buyer
    Mine wasn't notarized. Tho it was typed out and very specific, had HIN, motor serial and trailer serial on it. She said things were very easy with that. Just mine and buyers sig
    2013 Legend 211R
    2017 Ford F-150 Ecoboost

I think it’s crazy that there isn’t “One Standard” for all 50 states....

I bought a boat from Oklahoma once, and they lisc. The boat, but not the trailer, so, the lady told me to make up a 9 digit number for the trailer, and that would be it’s VIN in Arkansas.... So, someone out there has a boat trailer whose VIN is 123456789!

Goofy!

16. Member
    I bought my boat brand new here, no titles. I have the MSO’s. I’ve moved back and forth from KY a couple of times. I needed my registration cards, if you have a title he can get one here if you’ve done all the paperwork correctly, and of course a bill of sale. I can’t remember which state it was, maybe both? They wanted the values of the boat, motor, and trailer separated. Have your buyer check with their county clerk. Of course once you sell it notify your county clerk. If you show you own it Jan 1st in KY you’ll get a big ole personal property tax bill. It’s on you to prove it was sold prior to the first once they cut those bills.

TN really keys on the registration card. Once the TN numbers are issued that’s the numbers as long as the boat is in TN. At least I’ve not seen those numbers change with new owners.

17. Member
    Got to give a big shout out to ACS Marine at Buchanon, TN. Jessica was a great help in getting my paper work straight transferring a FL registered boat to a TN buyer. They are great folks with a customer service first attitude. BTW there are a couple of really nice Phoenix bass boats sitting in the show room.

18. Member
    Tennessee doesn’t license boat trailers unless you want to. Some states get bitchy about pulling through them with no tag.

When you sign and notarize the title that is considered a bill of sale.

Not sure about TN, but here you want to make sure they separate the trailer, motor and boat on the bill of sale. For example - Total price $30,000, boat is $15,000, motor is $10,000 and trailer $5,000. Here we pay sales tax on the trailer only when broke out this way. If not, we would pay sales tax on the whole amount.