Thread: New carpeting

New carpeting

We need to get new carpeting in our home. I want to replace our entire second floors carpet. We have large rooms that is filled with large heavy furniture. Two of the rooms are setup as bedrooms, one as a home office and the last as a home theater room. The carpet people said they will move the large furniture to put the carpet in. I just don't know where they will move it to.

I would love love to hear some comments on those that have recently went through new carpet installation. Moving all the furniture, storing all the nicknacks and pulling apart my large home theater system sounds like an uncomfortable task. Is it better to do rooms individually or get it done all at once? Thanks.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

When I had carpeting put in the house I rented a Ryder truck for 2 days. One day to fill it and the next to unload it after the carpet was installed. We had one bedroom, living room, hallway and familyroom carpeted. What we couldn't jam in the other 2 bedrooms we put in the truck.
    The carpet people might just move stuff room to room or drag it outside until the carpets installed.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

3. Member
    I install carpet for a living. I would come look at your house and coordinate with you on what "we" need to do to get your job done right and easy as possible on both of us. I would ask you to move all computers and knickknacks and have your home theater unhooked. I try to avoid moving items downstairs. I would figure where I needed to start the carpet installation and empty all the rooms I could into the other rooms. It might be one room at the time or half the rooms just depends on how much furniture you have. I would tell you where i was starting and the order i am going to do the rooms and about how long it would take. I'd say something like this " if you could have room 1,2 and 3 empty of knickknacks etc and set them in room 6 inthe back corner, i will get room 1,2,and3 done on the first day. After I finish the first day you can move all your knickknacks etc. Into room 1 this evening and I will be back and finish in the morning"

Or....you could just have a moving company empty it before I get there and make me really happy -:)

4. Member
    I am a general contractor that handles mostly "upper end" interior remodeling projects and Kenfuel has spelled it out perfectly...we do exactly the same thing with customers in need of carpeting with a house full of furniture and electronics and fragile items...hope this helps Kenfuel is on it!

5. Member
    Thanks, great comments.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead