Garmin mfd specs, changing from Lowrance, Ultra 126sv or 1242xsv, etc...

I am making the change from Lowrance to Garmin and trying to decide which ones to do. Not looking to spend the $$ on the 8600 model although I would rather have them due to the display. So far I have about decided on the Echomap ultra 126sv’s but thought about the 1242 model as well. I know the 1242 would require a separate brain for the UHD transducer. What are some big differences if any between the ultra series and the 1242 line.

Where can somebody actually see specs about the main brain of all the units. Coming from Lowrance I know the Live models have way better processors than the carbons and the carbons better than the gen 3 and so on.

The uhd scanning setup setup and Livescope is what’s driven me to make the change along with the networking setup that is better than Lowrance special ethernet cords that are fragile to say the least.

Any any pros or cons you guys can give me on either the ultras or 1200 series would be a big help.
    Last edited by Sleepy111; 09-14-2019 at 11:11 PM.

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Do you want touch or non also if you want uhd separate box or just run gt30 and high speed transducer?As far as pic quality both units I can’t tell a difference,but in my case I like the knob it’s just fast as heck and I wanted high speed gt30/15 set up and Iam more than impressed.I like my gt 30 better than the uhd of the ultra .The gt 30 is very impressive and if you don’t like the gt30 your not going to be anymore impressed with the uhd.Its not night and day ,good yes but not better.

3. Member
    I’m fine with the touch, that’s what I’m use to. I haven’t really looked at a nontouch. From what notes I have jotted down it looks like the 1242 maybe has more sonar/chirp capabilities and the UHD box can be added so it will run the gt54 transducer whereas the ultra looks like it only does 455 and UHD side scan, no 800 and does 455/800 down, am I understanding that right? There are so many options of transducers with Garmin it is quite confusing from what I am use to. I am planning on the gt15 and gt30 for thru hull and transom work and will do the 54 and Livescope on the troller.
    Last edited by Sleepy111; 09-15-2019 at 08:00 PM.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The UHD box will only run the GT34 ducer. The Ultra can run either GT34 or GT54 with a direct connection to unit. With either you will get the UHD frequencies.

I dont think you will find specific info of what the guts are for these units.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I guess to keep it simple for fresh water fishing
    best is gt 30+15 high speed
    gt52 very good But has to mounted on transom for high speed.
    uhd 1.2 MHz 54 and 34 depending on unit
    everything else is more for salt water deep water .

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    I guess to keep it simple for fresh water fishing
    best is gt 30+15 high speed
    gt52 very good But has to mounted on transom for high speed.
    uhd 1.2 MHz 54 and 34 depending on unit
    everything else is more for salt water deep water .
    Gotcha, I looked at some vids of the 1242 non touch and it is actually pretty impressive. I may just have to have a mix of touch and nontouch if I don’t do the ultras. I will have 2 at the console and 2 at the bow with plans of 1 at the bow being dedicated to Livescope.