Changed water pump for my 1st time, no water flow. Most likely thing I got wrong?

I installed a water pump kit for my first time on a 1996 Merc 200 EFI. Before installing the kit, for the past 14 months since I bought the boat water flowed just fine. I'm mechanically inclined, but obviously got something wrong. I ran the engine on water muffs, which I have done many times before. I was waiting for the peeing to start and it seemed like it was taking a long time. Then the overheat alarm went off so I shut it down. I know the alarm was not a lack of oil because this engine was converted to pre-mix with the block off kit long before I bought it.

What is the most likely thing or things I could have gotten wrong that it will not flow water? Knowing that in advance may help me in taking the water pump assembly apart to diagnose it. I was certain I got the key in the right place. I rotated the drive shaft clockwise as I slowly pushed the pump housing on to the impeller. I followed the steps in my shop manual verbatim.

Thank you

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The water tube on top would be my first guess.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

^^ what he said ^^ Those early models could be a booger !!

4. Member
    Key or roll pin next to or in a recess in the driveshaft might be left out. You're supposed to lubricate new impellers with Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. Also, if the muffs let any air pass the pump will pick up air instead of water.

5. Member
    look it up on you tube good videos likely there and might see what went wrong in video??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    The little drive key/pin like billnorman1 said