Patoka lake levels for 2020

The 2020 BFL schedule was released by Alan Gray who is the tournament director for the Hoosier division. Patoka was dropped from next year's schedule and replaced by rough river in anticipation of high water levels at Patoka. Alan posted that he spoke with the COE and was informed that they aren't going to be drawing it down. No reason given by the corp, just an fyi to those not following.

2. Banned
    Probably should go ahead and cancel those early tournaments too. It might be cold out. I don’t know the guy from anyone, but that sounds about as dumb as you can get.

Tell him to enjoy his 30 boats that show up at rough.

3. Banned
    Bullsh!t the Corp will drop those lake come hell or high water... Can't start the rainy season with the lake a full pool... Dan

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Bullsh!t the Corp will drop those lake come hell or high water... Can't start the rainy season with the lake a full pool... Dan
    Well they have missed a pretty good opportunity to draw it down this summer as dry as it's been. It's been drawed down .1 a day at best and is still 6.4 over summer pool.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z20basser View Post
    Well they have missed a pretty good opportunity to draw it down this summer as dry as it's been. It's been drawed down .1 a day at best and is still 6.4 over summer pool.
    Yeah they are not drawing it down period, not sure why but they are not even trying. I am going to call them today and see if I can get an answer.

6. Member
    Let us know what they say!

7. Banned
    I’m not sure the reason they aren’t pulling it as much as they could. Be interesting to hear.

Side note the spawn this year was nothing short of phenomenal. The last couple months I have saw more schools than I can count of 1”-2” bass from this year. Schools of hundreds of little guys. I’m not sure how long it takes them to get to 15”, but the future looks good up there.

If we could get some grass the next couple years the lake would absolutely catch fire.

Tom, one of the fisheries biologists I spoke with at the Paynetown office years ago told me the average time it takes to reach 14 inches in Indiana is 5 years.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Source: Second hand from some cousins who own farm land along the river downstream of the dam. Their families experienced the horrible flooding the Patoka did before the dam, so they get pretty worked up at the idea of water pouring over the spillway. Their info might be tainted with some emotion.

The operating plan for Patoka doesn’t specify lake level as the main parameter, it specifies river level at Jasper. The river at Jasper is exactly where it is supposed to be at 9ft, so they aren’t dropping the lake. I’m not sure if the guide changes the target gauge height for winter or not. It’s my understanding that if the NWS issues a forecast calling for heavy rain in the watershed, then the Corp can increase discharge and lower the lake, but as long as the forecast is dry they are required to stick with the 9ft level.

There are about 5 different federal laws that restrict how they operate the lake. Flood control, navigation, wildlife, erosion and water pollution are some I can think of. Cities and towns along the river have been asking them to keep more space in the lake for flood control, but much of the control of the discharge can’t be changed without action by Congress.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    I tried to call a few times and was never able to get anyone who could explain whats going on so who knows.

11. bullyfish
    It’s Indiana they don’t care about fishing in the state

Quote Originally Posted by BULLYFISH View Post
    It’s Indiana they don’t care about fishing in the state
    Don't you have some carp to go catch?