Question calories in vs working out

guys ive been back on wagon now for almost 6 weeks. in 2014 i weighed 359.6. over a period of a few years i was able to get down at one point to 265 pounds. i ended having to work out of town and found myself back to my old ways and ended back up to 305. so i decided i wanted to get all this back off and i have a goal of 250 that i havent seen in over 20 years. so how i am doing it is by counting calories. this is how i did it the first time and its worked better than anything i have ever done. when i did it the first time i didnt have as much time to work out like i do now.

so here is my question. in the past 6 weeks i have managed to lost 17.6 pounds. even through a long get away over labor day at the beach and eating a little more i have still lost weight because we exercised while at the hotel. this past week i have really exercised a lot. i dont go to a gym. i walk on a treadmill or outside depending on whats fits in my schedule. this week i have walked 19 miles since sunday. today i weighed in and gained 2 pounds. i use my fitness pal to track my calories. it has me at 2170 calories but im only using on average 17-1800 of those and sometimes not that plus the walking.i am eating alot healthier now and drink very very little soda. im drinking 6-8 bottles of water per day now. i have always seen that you can over exercise and not eat enough. maybe im hitting it a little to hard or not eating enough calories.sounds weird but everything i read says your body will hold on to fat if it doesnt have enough fuel. so i am just curious if anyone else has dealt with the same issues or similar to what i am seeing.

2. Banned
    Could it be that you've plateaued? That happens and sometimes there is no apparent reason for it. Stay with it and get on the other side. Eventually your body will respond.

3. Member
    Weight could fluctuate short term depending on a lot of factors. I have had steady weight loss in the past of 1.5 to 2 pounds per week and then gain a pound. Then lose 3 the next week. Short term is harder to measure. Extra salt may have caused you to retain more water etc.

4. Member
    I'm no expert but I have read/heard that is you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode. Whether this is true or not I don't know. I have always ate everything, and lots of it. The last few years ( I am almost 50) my metabolism has plummeted and last year I began driving a truck. I work out 3 times a week and don't eat near what I used to. I weigh myself every morning, three months and I might have lost a pound or two. So right now I think I'm starvation mode, there must be something to it.

5. Member
    water wieght. I fluctuate 9 pounds and only weigh 155 on average depending on workouts, hydration, food and if I've had an exceptionaly hard race/workout.

Keep the faith, keep eating healthy and keep logging those miles, and you my friend will get there! start mixing in more incline on the treadmill, add no more than 10% distance in a week and less if you ramp up the intensity!