Improving the seal

I just noticed that when I come off plane and water washes up into the well I have been getting a little bit of water past the thru hull fitting.

Realize that I have had this setup for years and it has never been a problem. The reason I have some concern is that when I got home recently I noticed some drops of water on the battery charger that is located right below the fitting. That can't be good.

Moving the charger isn't an option, so I am wondering how I can improve the seal. I could slobber silicone around everything while it is apart and but it back together before it cures but then I will have a big mess if I ever need to work on stuff there. I could also use some soft rubber to fill areas between the lines and cables and hope it fills the voids.
    Last edited by zelmo; 09-14-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    Try some kind of cable wrap or sleeve. Maybe search something like this. https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...ganizer-sleeve

3. Member
    Get a CV boot replacement boot or something like that to extend the coverage length up the wire pack further.

4. Member
    get the t/m sleeve for those cables and hoses

2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    get the t/m sleeve for those cables and hoses

Is that the one from the link above from TH Marine? The description says it is 1.5” in diameter. I am sure that won’t be big enough.

For whatever it’s worth, all the marine on board chargers are waterproof. My charger was almost completely submerged after having the boat tied up overnight and taking the brunt of one hell of a rain storm. Pumped the water out and it’s been going strong for a couple years since!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Banned
    I get water in through that as well. All the time. And my charger is right below it as well. Gets soaked. Been like that since day one. No problems. Figure a little bit of water splashing around in the bilge keeps it clean.

8. Member
    If you want to you can use liquid rubber or silicone, but it won't be pretty.

9. Member
    Thanks. I think I will check what Minn Kota has to say about the charger getting wet before I go nuts on this. I assumed it wasn’t good but we know what happens when we assume.

Edit: I checked the manual and the charger is waterproof. Now I need to make sure the water can't create other problems. I will still look for a solution but that takes some pressure off to get this done immediately.
    Last edited by zelmo; 09-15-2019 at 06:27 AM.

10. Member
    If you insist on sealing this area you could go inside the hull with a lot of sealant or gasket maker and slop it on where it would be out of sight. You could also seal between the cables from the outside with a nozzle and wipe off any excess. That would be O.K. unless you had to change a hose or cable. I sealed mine from the outside with black gasket maker or liquid rubber I forget. It ain't pretty but so ain't the rest of my boat.

11. Member
    I remember using some rubber tape years ago to fix a vacuum cleaner hose. It stretched a little and created a sort of pressure fit. My wife was never happy with it but I thought it worked fine.

I may try it on this job since all I am trying to accomplish is making the barrier better. It doesn’t need to be completely watertight. I will post a picture when done.

12. Member
    There is a self fusing tape similar to electrical tape but thicker. Various brands like Duck, Gorilla etc. You can find at almost any store that sells tape. I used it a lot on trolling motor cables and other applications. It stretches and fuses to itself.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born to fish View Post
    There is a self fusing tape similar to electrical tape but thicker. Various brands like Duck, Gorilla etc. You can find at almost any store that sells tape. I used it a lot on trolling motor cables and other applications. It stretches and fuses to itself.
    That is exactly what I was thinking about. I don’t remember how well the end of the wrap stayed fused. Does it stay in place or is a zip tie needed to keep it secure?

3M Temflex rubber splicing tape. It will fuse to itself and hold tight. Available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. for about $3.00 a roll.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments