Will Unhooking units cause a networking issue?

I have 3 units networked plus a Ultrex IPilot link and a external GPS receiver. Helix 10 on bow and a Helix 10 at the helm and a 998 at the helm for navigation only. The GPS receiver is plugged into the helm Helix. My issue is with GPS on the units. The helm Helix only shows GPS for itself ( int/no fix ) not showing external gps. The 998 at helm doesn’t show a gps and the bow Helix only shows gps for the bow unit ( int/ no fix ).All units seem to be giving me all other options just not GPS. My problem seemed to start after I had an issue with the bow unit and had to send it in to Humminbird to get the side imaging repaired. I unplugged the bow unit and the helm unit and switched them around to troubleshoot the side imaging issue before I sent in back. Also customer service installed the new software update and I installed it in my other Helix so both are using 2.1. Any ideas what could be going on? Both Helix units seem to be running on internal gps ok but nothing on the 998. Both Helix are Mega SI g2n and 998 is SI hd. Thanks

Well disconnecting a unit from the network removes its data as a source for other units. It would only be an "issue" if you want that data shared.

If your units are sharing waypoints and temp, connect the GPS antenna to one of the Helix units to see if it is working properly. Should be listed as Ext in the Helix network menu.
    You cannot share sonar between a Helix and 998 if CHIRP is turned on.

iPilot should also be listed as a GPS source if your network is powered on and the iPilot LINK Ethernet cable is connected to the 5-port switch.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Well disconnecting a unit from the network removes its data as a source for other units. It would only be an "issue" if you want that data shared.

If your units are sharing waypoints and temp, connect the GPS antenna to one of the Helix units to see if it is working properly. Should be listed as Ext in the Helix network menu.
    You cannot share sonar between a Helix and 998 if CHIRP is turned on.

iPilot should also be listed as a GPS source if your network is powered on and the iPilot LINK Ethernet cable is connected to the 5-port switch.

Thanks Wayne. I understand about the sharing but I’m trying to figure out why everything was working correctly at one time but now nothing is working correctly. My network box looked similar to yours at on time, now nothing like that.

Check the power to the Ethernet Switch and do the external GPS antenna test to a Helix to see where the issue is.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Also connect an Ethernet cable directly between the 998 and one of the Helix units, bypass the Switch.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Check the power to the Ethernet Switch and do the external GPS antenna test to a Helix to see where the issue is.
    Everything is back to normal. I confirmed that the GPS receiver was working by unhooking everything but power and GPS receiver to the helm unit. I then unplugged the other 2 units and powered everyone up individually and waited until I pilot showed connected on each one. I’m not sure what caused the issue but as of now everything is working correctly. Thanks Wayne.