Indexing plugs on my '04 DFI Evinrude 150

So I would like someone to explain to me how to correctly index my plugs. Thought I was doing it correctly but shop just told me I wasn't. Looking at the plug hole, on the bottom at 6:00, theres a round hole per say, which I thought were the injectors but was told they are not. So, I marked the ceramic part of the plug with a sharpie where the opening was for the electrode. I tried getting the open part as close to the 6:00 mark but had a real hard time to find any plugs that would line up. The shop told me, they can either be lined up at 6:00 or 12:00, evidently most of mine were around the 3:00 mark. I put my boat in the shop due to the motor loading up and actually going into a high idle when I backed right off the throttle completely after going up the lake, like if I was going up the lake and wanted to stop and fish an area, but if I didn't back out of the throttle slowly, it would load up and then go into its fast idle funk. Heres what I am getting at. About 2 yrs ago, it was running fine but when I took it out of storage in the spring, I forgot to tighten down the plugs and got ALOT of excess oil in the breather box and obviously the cylinders, so that's when I put new plugs in it and the problem with the loading up and going into fast idle started. The shop did diagnostics on the engine and found NOTHING. All they found was like I said, the plugs were indexed incorrectly. Would that cause the problem described above? Whats an easy way to describe how to index my plugs so I don't have to buy 15 plugs to get 6 that will index as the mechanic told me he just takes one off the shelf and indexes it to which ever cylinder hes working on, if I understood him right. Good in all this is my boat is an '04 Ranger 185VS and the Evinrude 150 has 264 HRS on the motor. Even he told me the engine runs smooth as a button. Hope I explained myself on what I am trying to find out.

2. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

pm me your cell and i'll text you pics of what should like on the DI engines
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO