Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC

Hows the fishn been on hartwell????

As the title states...................

Wife and I leaving for our annual Hartwell vacation on Sunday for 3 weeks and curious how it's been?? Water temps, lake level, fishing....etc. Any one have any insight advice thoughts etc.?????

Thanks

and whats nice about this trip is we will be looking for a place to rent long term til we figure out where we want to end up. I'm finally retiring and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be near Anderson.

Love the area and the people. Been vacationing there for the past 8 years and have gotten to know the area pretty well, made some friends as well. Anderson is a neat town too. Lots to do there especially if you are like me from a small one horse town Anderson is happening. And Greenville is close by which I like. Greenville is a really neat city. Love it
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

2. Member
    I live on Keowee and fish Hartwell some. If you are looking to retire, Keowee is a great option. The water level rarely fluctuates more than 3 feet, even in drought conditions. Water is clear and it is a great lake for spotted bass. Fishing on Hartwell has been good top water bite lately. Take a look at the reports on the Anglers Headquarters website. If you want to know more about Keowee, would be happy to help.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Finally thinking about hanging it up Craig? Good for you. While you are down I'd take are tour of Keowee and Seneca/Clemson area. Although it is as convenient to get to Greenville from Anderson it can be done. Greenville sure has changed over the year for sure. Wish I could give you some info but I'll bet you'll find the same patterns as when you were there last. Enjoy your trip I do know a few realtors still so if you need any contact info let me know and I'l see if I can help.

4. Member
    With all the big tournaments and the extra fishing they bring, Hartwell has been a lot tougher this year. The fish have gotten a lot wiser, and spots have really taken over. Even on small swimbaits and A-rigs, I see the bass grab the swimbait tails and avoid the hooks. They hit hard but just at the tails. Thinking about tying stinger hooks in the swimbait tails.
    All I can say is try something different.

5. Member
    thanks for the replies guys!!!!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

6. Member
    If you like the Greenville area, definitely look at the south end of Keowee. I live on the south end of the lake. It takes me less than an hour to get to downtown Greenville, 10 minutes to Clemson. I have lived all over the country during my career and chose Keowee to retire on. Happy to talk with you in more detail, so just PM if you like. Good luck!

7. Member
    your not kidding John....it's been tough. finally caught a few yesterday during the front that came through

keoweeskeeter, I'll have to check out some properties in the area you mentioned. about 8 years ago we spent some time with a realtor and he showed us a few homes on Keowee just not sure exactly where on the lake though
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    Yup fred....selling the business and moving to SC. May be in about 6 to 9 months. We met a realtor a few years ago that we've become friends so we got that covered but thanks. Everyone seems to be pushing the Keoweee area? We've spent some time in Seneca and Clemson but keep gravitating toward Anderson. But we will take your advice and take a ride back up that area again
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Banned
    I love that area as well, it's probably my most favorite area and lake in the southeast. I hope I can convince my wife to retire there when it's time. I can't wait to get down there next month. Place is loaded.

10. Member
    To me, the biggest advantage to Keowee vs. Hartwell for retirement is the water quality and lake level. Keowee is extremely clean and the water level does not drop that far, even in a drought. I have seen Hartwell down 20+ feet in a drought, while Keowee remains at normal pool. Housing is more expensive on Keowee as a result but worth it in my opinion. I live on the south end of the lake. 20 minutes to Anderson, less than an hour to downtown Greenville, 10 minutes to Clemson.

11. Member
    Well....fishing improved but I think we spent more time walking lots and viewing said lots by water. I apologize to John Jackson for not contacting you and get out on the water. Spent a few days with realtors looking as well. going again tomorrow.

And.....A big thank you to member on here "bumblebee" and I forget his name towed me back to our rental house this afternoon after my 300XS went "BOOM". Yup, late afternoon coming back from the restaurant at Hartwell Marina it blew!! BTW if you see this text me at 570-657-0796
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

12. Member
    that's the port side. I have no idea why my pics always are turned wrong
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. Member
    I got your message. I figured you were with the Wife's folks or house hunting. Hate to hear about the motor. Time for a 300R???

14. Member
    we ended up house and property hunting. it's going to be a challenge finding a lake lot I can afford or a lot with a house in place. I have fished some but not nearly as much as usual. I'd get out around 7:30and come back in by 10

As for the motor....I emailed Don last nite so I'll wait til he replies with advice. I bought the engine August 2016 so I'm sure it's out of warranty
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

15. Member
    Hey Fred.....bumblebee says "HELLO"!!! I forget his name and I want his phone number
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keoweeskeeter View Post
    To me, the biggest advantage to Keowee vs. Hartwell for retirement is the water quality and lake level. Keowee is extremely clean and the water level does not drop that far, even in a drought. I have seen Hartwell down 20+ feet in a drought, while Keowee remains at normal pool. Housing is more expensive on Keowee as a result but worth it in my opinion. I live on the south end of the lake. 20 minutes to Anderson, less than an hour to downtown Greenville, 10 minutes to Clemson.
    Keowee just like Russell can't drop below a certain level. Keowee is due to the Reactors and Russell due to the height of the turbines.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Hey Fred.....bumblebee says "HELLO"!!! I forget his name and I want his phone number
    Craig, slips my mind who bumblebee is? What kind of boat did he have? Don't give up my son just bought a lake house on 18 mile creek got a sweet deal on it so he says.

18. Member
    i think he used to run a bumblebee now is in a ranger.

And the motor did not blow. once I got it on the trailer and was able to inspect further I could not find any evidence of a block failure.

I'll be darned there's 1 blade missing on my ProMax prop. it few up and caused that damage on the pan but the way it looked it was not pushed in
    The prop shaft seal is shot though
    Last edited by AllyFishing; 10-03-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

19. Member
    Time for a new DBR cowl??? And associated kit?

20. Member
    Ally ......... I know who you're talking about ....... and for the life of me I can't remember his name ............ but 'Bumblebee' is big buddies with 'JoJo' and 'Peanutman'. Somebody (WrenchmonkeY) get on FacePage, Bluebird, InstaSnaps and all that fancy stuff and tell 'The MAYOR of Iva' to get on here and straighten this (not 'us') out.

Hope it helps.
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast