prop blow out on break over

What is the cure for prop blow out on break over. No cavitation until bow starts to drop and then need to feather it until hookup. 26" Trophy Plus prop. Smaller plugs? Currently running blow out
    ring. Mark suggested a 27" Bravo XS but I was able to get the 26" Trophy Plus for a starting point.
    Last edited by jck; 09-13-2019 at 02:25 PM.

PVS plugs generally do not affect blowout on break over. It’s the straight barrel and smaller diameter that does that. That’s why most propellers have a flare on the end of the barrel. Also known as an exhaust diffuser. Helps keep exhaust off of the tips of the blades.

You should have listened to Mark. The 26 pitch trophy plus is not a very good propeller in stock form. The blades are laid-back/backwards pitch and will not grip the water as needed.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    On the Mercury prop selector, it suggests the Trophy Plus in the same pitch I have. They should maybe update their info.

4. Member
    I think the selector was put together by engineers, based on RPM data, not on the water testing. Guys on this board have on the water experience.

5. Member
    Do you think a 25 or 26 Fury 4 would work ok? 94 stratos 201, fresh Merc 250 xb

25p at the most.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Thanks very much.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    PVS plugs generally do not affect blowout on break over.
    Haha it most certainly does! It sounds like you need to play with your PVS plugs, my current tempest setup is 1 large and other 2 are empty.

Your motor could maybe need to be dropped down a bit... hydraulic jp or manual?

9. Member
    Manual 3.5" below pad

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabela10 View Post
    Haha it most certainly does! It sounds like you need to play with your PVS plugs, my current tempest setup is 1 large and other 2 are empty.

Your motor could maybe need to be dropped down a bit... hydraulic jp or manual?
    He stated "generally" PVS plugs dont effect blowout. He didn't say the PVS plugs can NEVER effect blowout.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jck View Post
    Do you think a 25 or 26 Fury 4 would work ok? 94 stratos 201, fresh Merc 250 xb
    There is a reason why Mark Croxton suggested 27 pitch Bravo XS, because he knows that a Mercury 250 XB is a "300promax under a fishing cowl" with a beefed up torquemaster to keep it together.
    That motor is a power monster especially as you start bringing up your JP for more speed.
    Hopefully you can afford the fuel and oil it drinks, which is the reason I pass up on a fully rebuilt 2002 250XB.
    Strongly suggest you listen to Mark, since he is the best wheelman around, and 250XB don't like you running them hitting the limiter.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    25p at the most.
    25p Fury 4 works great! Thanks for your help.

13. Member
    I ran a trophy for years on a Basscat . PVS plugs definitely will help with blow out . But you may have a slower hole shot after chocking down the holes. .it can be fine tuned to a point of what your willing to be ok with . I was fine with that mine slower out of 5he hole . the trophy set up right will out run the Bravo .