Thread: Live well Leak

Live well Leak

I have a leak from my live well that I cannot locate the source. A few days ago I found that one of the live well drain fittings was leaking and so I took them both out and resealed them. Tested the live well plumbing last night and still have a leak. In the attached photo, I am kneeling on the live well lids, facing the back of the boat. The red circle is where the water is appearing from and running down into the bilge area (no water in this photo). Additional photo I am pointing to the leaking water running down into bilge area. Hope this makes sense.
    Any ideas where it is coming from?
    There are a couple of small cracks in the gelcoat inside the livewell, could this be my source?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

2. Member
    in my personal opinion id start off with covering the drain with duct tape or something (making sure you have a clean seal over it) and fill livewell with some water and see if its still leaking (if yes then you got a crack somewhere right through) if not you can isolate it to the actual plumbing...

i know mine was leaking at the drain fitting before and ended up being a worn out seal that looked fine previously.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride.race.live View Post
    in my personal opinion id start off with covering the drain with duct tape or something (making sure you have a clean seal over it) and fill livewell with some water and see if its still leaking (if yes then you got a crack somewhere right through) if not you can isolate it to the actual plumbing...

i know mine was leaking at the drain fitting before and ended up being a worn out seal that looked fine previously.
    All of the plumbing is dry now since I resealed the drain fittings so I really feel that it isn't the drain fittings.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

4. Member
    so you more so believe its the well itself leaking somewhere?
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

5. Member
    That's what I'm thinking, just looking for thoughts from those that may have been there done that...cannot believe I am the only one to experience this same issue.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

6. Member
    Look up at the very top center of the wells and see if one of your venturi air intakes have broken off,mine did. It will leave a 3/8” hole if so.

7. mikesxpress
    Check the rubber washer (same as the ones used on a garden hose) in the screw on fitting under the livewells.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Look up at the very top center of the wells and see if one of your venturi air intakes have broken off,mine did. It will leave a 3/8” hole if so.
    Venturi air intake is intact. Leak starts with just a few inches of water in the well. Thanks for the idea.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Check the rubber washer (same as the ones used on a garden hose) in the screw on fitting under the livewells.
    Already replaced those washers when I resealed the drain fittings. Thanks for the idea.
    About has to be one of the hairline small cracks in the gel. Gonna put some silicone over them and test that theory.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

10. Member
    Leak Found!!
    I finally got the leak stopped. What I think was happening is the water was getting in the wall of the livewell where the starboard LED light wiring comes through and then getting out of the wall on the bottom starboard side of the livewell. Where the LED light wires went through the livewell wall was dry on the outside of the wall. I sealed the perimeter of the LED lights and voila!, no more leaks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Good find!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio