Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lower unit and couple other questions

2006 Opti 200L SN 1B379785
    2007 Triton 197 Magnum
    Long story short, I broke my prop shaft and the shop called me today to tell me that my lower unit is an SEI and not a mercury and since the shaft is broken off and there's some corrosion in there, they can't get it apart. My motor isn't an Opti it's a ProXS powerhead with 225 modules. The oil injection isn't being used, I have to mix. With my current set up, my motor runs pretty high, which as I understand, puts a lot of stress on the prop shaft. Some of this may be irrelevant, but I wanted lay everything out on the table to get the best responses and I'm kind of new to some of this. Here's my questions: Will a torque master LU off a 2013 250 ProXS work on my motor? Should I even consider going back with an SEI unit? Would a mercury OEM prop shaft work in an SEI unit and if so, would it be worth it to put one in it? Can I hook up smartcraft or vessel view to my engine? Hopefully I haven't made this confusing and thanks in advance and please don't take offense if I don't respond quickly, I work shift work and I'm on nights right now.

2. Member
    A ProXS IS still an Optimax neither motor can have the oil system removed. Not sure what motor you have, but if you're mixing oil then you Do Not have a STANDARD OPTIMAX, or a ProXS.

1. No, don't do this.
    2. If finances dictate spending less, then go for it since your motor is a 200.
    3. No
    4. Not sure until its determined what motor you have.

3. Member
    If the engine has an air compressor it's an Optimax and what Savage said is correct, the oiling system cannot be removed or disabled.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Serial number makes it either a 200 or 225 DFI. Wonder how long it's run on premix...

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jajbs920 View Post
    2006 Opti 200L SN 1B379785
    2007 Triton 197 Magnum
    Long story short, I broke my prop shaft and the shop called me today to tell me that my lower unit is an SEI and not a mercury and since the shaft is broken off and there's some corrosion in there, they can't get it apart. My motor isn't an Opti it's a ProXS powerhead with 225 modules. The oil injection isn't being used, I have to mix. With my current set up, my motor runs pretty high, which as I understand, puts a lot of stress on the prop shaft. Some of this may be irrelevant, but I wanted lay everything out on the table to get the best responses and I'm kind of new to some of this. Here's my questions: Will a torque master LU off a 2013 250 ProXS work on my motor? Should I even consider going back with an SEI unit? Would a mercury OEM prop shaft work in an SEI unit and if so, would it be worth it to put one in it? Can I hook up smartcraft or vessel view to my engine? Hopefully I haven't made this confusing and thanks in advance and please don't take offense if I don't respond quickly, I work shift work and I'm on nights right now.
    First thing we need to do is find out what this engine REALLY is. Suggest you snap a few pictures with the cowling off, and post them for assistance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks to all. I bought the boat back in Feb and I really like it. I had to go a few states east to find it since the Triton 197 is so hard to find. What I was told was that the Opti system was disabled and it had a ProXS powerhead with 225 modules that made it a 225hp engine. I'm going to pick it up on my in to work and I'll take some pictures. Not feeling real good about all of this right now. The boat performed(s) very well and had given me zero problems other than this broken prop shaft. I'm super curious to what I've gotten myself into. Thanks so much for helping me.

7. Member
    Last edited by Jajbs920; 09-13-2019 at 05:33 PM.

8. Member
    Seems so.

9. Member
    Guess I need to concentrate on getting me lower unit sorted out. Any suggestions on the best way to proceed?

10. Member
    If you get all the oil out of the SEI lower it makes a decent anchor.
    Look around and see if you can find a used LU. Seriously, the SEI would have to improve to be considered junk.

11. Member
    Has anyone had any dealings with Marine Supply in Gulfport, MS?

12. Member
    Wow from a 200 HP Optimax to a 225 HP EFI in a blink of an eye. Try to find a good used Mercury lower unit.

13. Member
    Yep, neither an Optimax nor ProXS and I'll echo Savage's recommendation on finding a good used Mercury lower unit. Check the for sale section in the main forum menu.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    aint no seems ,you do have an early efi powerhead that someone prob installed on an opti mid at least ser number shows opti,aint no big deal , but you sho aint got no pxs powerhead, as gehol says best to find factory gearcase, and burn some fuel and oil lots of it good luck 920
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Member
    Does it have a 2 or 4 butterfly intake?
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    I have no idea. If can tell me how I can tell, I'll check. Bought a really clean and what appears a very low hour LU yesterday. Should be up and running this week. Since my motor is a 225 EFI, will any of the computer devices like vessel view work on it?

17. Member
    It's a 2 butterfly intake. What are the benefits of going to a 4 butterfly intake?

18. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    I have no idea. If can tell me how I can tell, I'll check. Bought a really clean and what appears a very low hour LU yesterday. Should be up and running this week. Since my motor is a 225 EFI, will any of the computer devices like vessel view work on it?
    Not on that model. If it had a single processor, possibly. Your powerhead has 2 processors, fuel and ignition.
    Last edited by Gamblinman; 09-16-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

19. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    It's a 2 butterfly intake. What are the benefits of going to a 4 butterfly intake?
    Without other changes being made along with the addition of the four butterfly intake, not enough to be of value.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

20. Member
    Do you have any idea what year my powerhead would be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast