How to cover the hole made by a recessed foot pedal

I have used hand control trolling motors for about 30 years. I recently bought a Lowe Stinger 175 with a recessed foot pedal, so I put a Minnkota Maximum on. After using for about 6 months I am thinking about putting my Motorguide hand control on. Can’t figure out how to cover the recessed area. I don’t know of anything you could purchase to cover this recessed area. Any suggestions?

I’m not looking to take the tray out, just some way to cover it. At my age I know I would step in as I’m fishing.
    Last edited by shford; 09-12-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Sam Ford
    Knox, Indiana
    2016 Lowe Stinger 175, Mercury FS 60

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I think I’d carve a wooden block close to the right shape, glue a piece of carpet to the top and then fit it with silicone or foam to sit snugly in the tray.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I was wondering how I could keep something in. Didn’t think of using silicone. Thanks
    Sam Ford
    Knox, Indiana
    2016 Lowe Stinger 175, Mercury FS 60

4. Member
    You might ask Lowe if they make a filler panel. When I had a Ranger RT178, I put an Xi5 on it and didn't want the recess. I asked and they sent me a filler, for a few of course.

5. Member
    I think I'd take the tray out if possible, turn it upside down on a piece of aluminum and outline the edge and mark the holes, then bolt it in. If you're concerned you could carpet it.

6. Member
    I had a similar issue when I switched to an ulterra. It’s foot control was too large to fit in my well. I had some advantech laying around so i cut a piece to fit the hole and carpeted it. A piece of 1/8” thick aluminum would be less bulky, plenty strong and easy to hold in with screws.

7. Member
    I would cut a piece of wood, or composite cutting board, or marine board (not wood but composite) the size of the hole. Place angle aluminum down the sides of the tray fro the cutout to rest on. Use a piano hinge on the front side to go on the cutout and the recess, making a door/hatch lid. cut a small finger hole in the other end from the tray so it can be lifted. You now have a useful day box instead of a recess.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Just for ideas, this is what Ranger made for me.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS