Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Co Angler Horror stories

we have all had them lets hear some of yours.

the worst one I had was way back in the day and was fishing a tourney and had a young kid maybe 20-21 at the time drawn with me for my Co. we meet up at the ramp and he comes carrying his bag and gear over not a ton of gear maybe 5-6 rods and a decent size bag. so we get to chatting a bit before take off and he tells me him and his buddy have been at the lake in his buddies boat for the last 4 days "pre-fishing" and they were straight wackin them. so I tell him ok that's cool we will start out at your spots since they are closer than mine and see how it goes. if we get to catching them we will just stay there. we agreed and took off. after about a 15 mile boat ride we get way up in this creek and start fishing a bluff wall. we fish it for about 3 hours with out hardly anything. im a little irritated but that's fishing. so the kid catches a small limit fish, just barely bumps the line. he puts it in the livewell and I tell him better double check that fish before weighing it in cause its prob gonna shrink and be short. he says its fine and he will weigh it.
    so we get to about 11:00 am or so and kid asks me "if its his turn to run the TM". I turn to him and say "what?" he says "when do I get to run the TM". I tell him "when he buys his own boat." he says " well they said I could run the TM half the day" so I tell him "well kid you better read the rules a little closer".
    so about 30 min later I hear this beeping..i turn around and this kid is sitting in the drivers seat of my boat pushing buttons on my graph. so I ask him " there something your looking for" he says "yea just a map to see where we are" I tell him ya could have asked instead of just pushing buttons and I would have told ya, and for that matter how do you not know where we are at these are "your' spots and we are in the same creek that we started in that you said you and your buddy were wacking them in" he looks at the map and says " year this isn't the creek I was talking about. its this one" while pointing to the map.
    so I look at him and say " ok then its time to go"
    we strap everything down and head to one of my areas. finished out there day there with a small limit maybe 13-14lbs and head back in. this kid still only has the 1 small fish from earlier in the day. we pull in to the weigh in and I tell him " hey you better measure that fish its probably short" he says " no it will be fine"
    im like ok whatever. we park the boat and he asks for a weigh in bag cause he didn't have one. so I give him mine. he packs up his 1 fish and heads to weigh in. so im like well I guess ill load the boat up now and wait. all this time there is another guy parked next to me and he asks me "hey you get one of them good COs too" I tell him "yea guess ill load my stuff up too while hes weighing in" we me and this guy talk a bit and he says "well hell give me your keys and ill get your truck and load yours then you can get my truck" so we get loaded up and im in the parking lot putting stuff up and here comes this Kid up to my boat bringing my weigh in bag back. so I ask him " what your fish weigh" he says " it was short" I don't say anything he grabs his stuff and walks off never said anything.
    so I pack up and head home measly finish but weighed in a limit. was an eye opening day for sure.

so lets hear some of your CO Angler stories. we know they are out there.

When do I get to the run the TM.............LOL...........Um Never, unless i chose to let you.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

3. Member
    Everyone makes their own decisions but there is no way I would hit a Co anglers spots first..
    On LSC if a Co angler touched a graph looking for mapping they would be thrown out of the boat...Boaters are ultra fussy about waypoints and alot of them shut their graphs off so the Coanglers cant see the waypoint..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

4. Member
    Waiting for Dixie Chicken's input!

I've had some characters over the years in the draw tourneys. On a lake Livingston BFL one ol boy showed up with an oxygen tank. I was running my Bullet in those days. He immediately told me he didn't want to go on any 80 mph boat rides. He dang near sucked that tank dry when I took him on an 80 mph boat ride to a known spot when I drew out boat number 2. Back in the day when the co entry fee was like 75 bucks...you had some interesting dudes show up for sure...had one guy at rayburn one january 45 degrees and raining...noticed he wasnt putting on any rain gear. He told me hed be alright....cuz his jeans were starched.

6. Banned
    I had to ride with no passenger console once... Dan

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    He told me hed be alright....cuz his jeans were starched.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    so I tell him ok that's cool we will start out at your spots
    Don't be that trusting... That's how days like yours happen.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Years ago at a little club tournament. I will try and keep it short.
    Showed up late, stunk from being out all night. Not that I have not done that, but usually not when I had to fish the next day
    Didn't have any stuff with him and asked me to stop by Walmart so he could buy some. I was nice and he came back out with a rod and reel, with a paper bag of lures.
    On the way to the lake, there is a little mom and pop everything place that had breakfast. He begged me to stop so he could get something to eat real quick. Was in there 15 minutes.
    At the lake, my first boat was a deep v aluminum. He had a rattle trap tied on that he was leaning against the high side of the boat hanging in the water. The rattle trap would grab the grass and he would set the hook claiming to miss a fish.
    I told him what was happening and he argued with me that it was in fact fish that he was missing. He also explained to me over and over how great a fisherman he is.
    Day over, I have not caught much and he had not caught a single fish. The weather was crappy, my mood was crappy and i just wanted to go home.
    On the way back he wanted to stop at the mom and pop place again. I stopped again, but told him the truck would leave with or without him in 5 minutes. He made it back.
    After getting back to his truck, this club the co-anglers were responsible for half the boaters gas for the day. (This is where you will know how long ago this was.) I told him his half wold be $16 for the gas. He then says "Oh, I forgot that I would owe you gas money, I only have $6 left."
    Saw him three times after that in various parking lots and I would always yell, telling him he still owed me $6.

10. Member
    I had one get quite and when I finally looked back he was dying g numerous worm tails in chartreuse and laying them on my new carpet to dry. If it weren't for his age that one wouldn't have ended pretty.

Had a 4.5 kicker and caught around 10 fish right 2.9 pounds that day .. swore my scale was broken .. just asked the big man upstairs for one over 2.9.. caught a 3.2 pounder .. happy as a clam thinking I now had a great shot at winning the Tourney.. Co goes to drop the 3.2 and throw back a 2.9 ...... splash... splash

Well 5 fish limit and I go in with 4 fish !!!!

Lost by half a pound

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I've had some characters over the years in the draw tourneys. On a lake Livingston BFL one ol boy showed up with an oxygen tank. I was running my Bullet in those days. He immediately told me he didn't want to go on any 80 mph boat rides. He dang near sucked that tank dry when I took him on an 80 mph boat ride to a known spot when I drew out boat number 2. Back in the day when the co entry fee was like 75 bucks...you had some interesting dudes show up for sure...had one guy at rayburn one january 45 degrees and raining...noticed he wasnt putting on any rain gear. He told me hed be alright....cuz his jeans were starched.
    That is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Everyone makes their own decisions but there is no way I would hit a Co anglers spots first..
    Especially when he tells me he and his buddies have been whackin' them there for 4 days...

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

14. Banned
    I don't fish tournaments much anymore but this was when I had my Bee.I drew a dude that was a no it all ass. Any way after listening to his bs all morning I just started ignoring him.Well next thing I know this dude decides to start my outboard to idle across the cove without asking me.I was irate at this point I took the keys out of the ignition told him to sit the hell down and to not touch anything the rest of the day.

15. Member
    Fished a tournament this year and told a non boater he could ride up with me since we live 20min away from each others. We get to the ramp and his boater was going to be late and since I had an empty boat and am tournament director, we had him jump into my boat for the day. Kept casting over my line, asking to drive the boat and run the trolling motor, I’d tell him we were moving spots then have to wait 5-10min while he moved his crap off the deck so it wouldn’t fly out. He wanted to fish a spot with stumps and when we got to his spot he asked why we were there. Apparently there’s a stump field somewhere in that lake but he doesn’t know where and just pointed to the map randomly. Then a few times I couldn’t sit down because his rods and tackle were in the drivers seat and I even had HIS stuff on the front deck. He caught one fish all day and I ended up winning. He complained that I back seated him even though I hit every other laydown so he could get unused water. Also put my rod down for a half hour and told him where to cast and stuff but still dropped fish. At the end of the day he didn’t help put the boat on the trailer and sat in the passenger seat while another guy backed it down. Once I dropped him off we just shook hands and went our ways. The president called me asking if he gave me gas money since it’s mandatory in our club and said no that he didn’t even offer. Apparently he told the president he paid the gas fee, ramp fee, tolls, and threw in $20 extra. I never received a cent and he’s been officially banned from the club since he owes 4 other members money totaling over $300.

the kicker... it’s my own cousin.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

16. Member
    At my fourth 2019 BFL at Oneida, I'm sitting 4th in a line of trucks and boats plus coanglers in their own vehicles waiting to get into a park just before 5 AM; and I look at my phone and there is a text from my boater saying he was sick all night and won't fish today. I call the tour director and he says come to the weighing trailer. I do and only his wife and I are there with him. I talked to him, say I am a guaranteed coangler (signed up, linked with a boater in the BFL Div) and don't want my season to end with a non-event in case he can't find a boater for me. Luckily there were some boat on boat draws and I end up with the guy leading the Div, Smallmouth Crush = Travis Manson. We did OK, but not great and I moved within the 45th place cut line. I visualize a couple of grand down the tubes getting to this point in the season, and at my age this might be my last season. I found out the "Confirmed and Guaranteed" Status only applies up to the time of the draw.

17. Member
    Just to keep it short the worst is the one’s that beat the cowl on the motor every third cast or step on my seats. One ol boy got hit with a cramp and he was lucky I had paper. I took him to the bank, red clay is all there was and he couldn’t wait, he hopped out and hit the woods. A few min later he comes back and wants to get back in the boat with about 5 pounds of red clay caked on both shoes Luckily for him it was spring so we through his shoes into a plastic sack and he fished barefoot the rest of the day.

Keep them coming.

19. Member
    years ago I fished my one and only BASS event as a co-angler.
    The "Pro" had a 18' tin boat n even close to as nice as my boat but the kicker was he did not know the water (Delta) and when he caught his first fish (small) he was going to throw it back. So I said I would
    measure that if I were him. He did not have a bump board but did say he wore size 12 shoes so he used his foot to measure the fish ???

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Had a 4.5 kicker and caught around 10 fish right 2.9 pounds that day .. swore my scale was broken .. just asked the big man upstairs for one over 2.9.. caught a 3.2 pounder .. happy as a clam thinking I now had a great shot at winning the Tourney.. Co goes to drop the 3.2 and throw back a 2.9 ...... splash... splash

Well 5 fish limit and I go in with 4 fish !!!!

Lost by half a pound

I love that story.
    My co usually sleeps most of the day.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast