2018 Mercury 150 Pro XS (4 Stroke) Tach issues (RT 198 P)

<Edit- Added: Ser. 2B610068>

Running today at WOT and noticed the tack bouncing to 7000 then settling down to 6100 then bouncing back to 7000. First time I seen the bounce. No change in boat performance, engine noise, ... just the tach bouncing. (Did not see any bouncing at slower speeds or near idle, so not sure what is up?)
    Running a 24P Tempest Plus and have been running that prop for months now.
    I will be into the console this weekend wiring up some new lights, so anything I should be looking for?
    Thanks in advance for the heads up.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-19-2019 at 02:13 PM.

2. Member
    I have had problems with Faria tachs reading wrong even when correctly set. Faria does stand behind them though.

Not sure what tach you have though.

Mine have been on Xpress boats.

Analog gauges can do weird things. Probly a defective gauge did it work good before? I have always preferred the teleflex pro series gauges myself always seemed pretty accurate.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

This was the first time I noticed it. Stock gauge that came on the RT 198 P. I will recheck the wiring connections this weekend as I will be in the console for wiring additional interior lights.

5. Member
    Not knowing what tach you have or whether it has dip switches or rotary switch, but if rotary, note current position and rotate the switch back and forth a few times while not exceeding the mechanical limits. It's worked for many and worth a try.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Check to see if there is an adjustment (pot) switch on the back of the tach- Note the CURRENT position, move it back and forth a couple positions (do NOT exceed ends of movement), and then return to original setting. See how it does.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke Ser. 2B610068 Model 1152F131D

Did the turning of the adjustment switch and I'll see what happens next time out. (Another hurricane coming our way.)

Thanks for the advice.

No issues with the tach today. Thank you for the tip.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    No issues with the tach today. Thank you for the tip.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax