Thread: Suzuki DF200SS

Suzuki DF200SS

I'm looking at a Falcon 195 that has a Suzuki 200 on the back of it. The few reports online say Suzuki is a very reliable brand. The Falcon rep on the phone also said as much. Can anyone tell me their experiences with these four strokes? I don't really care as much about hole shot or whatever.....I just want a reliable outboard, if one even exists.

2. Member
    I too am repowering my 2004 192 Superpro procraft with this motor . From the way my dealer explained it to me, the df200SS is a df200A and SS is the Matte black color preference. No other change in motor. Motor weight is 498 lb. I am with you about hole shot and speed. Reliable and fuel efficient. It is a inline 4 cylinder. Don't see too many negatives. Just interested where you found the boat? I was in a dealership 2 days ago that had the same boat. They said they were getting out of selling bass boats and the last one was the one he showed me. Said it was marked down $18 k. In moncks corner sc

3. Member
    I just had a 200SS installed on my Gambler Outlaw. Prior to that I had a 150SS and I can tell you not once did I have a single issue with the 150SS and I got it in 2015. I just wanted a little more speed so I upgraded to the 200SS. Several features that Suzuki offers that made me choose them. The Suzuki offers an option to charge the starting and auxiliary battery off the alternator. Suzuki has a water cooled voltage regulator and built in battery isolator. There is a timing chain and not a belt. It holds 8.5 quarts of oil and not 5. I also like the fact that it has a 2.5 to 1 gear ratio in the lower unit. All that being said it sips fuel too! I think it is a great motor!
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

4. Member
    That is awesome to hear. Me being a lifetime merc guy, I am a little anxious to see how it performs. I have read plenty of reviews stating pretty much what you said. As far as the SS, what is the difference my dealer seemed to think it was just the matte black finish. Is there more to it ? He said the one I am getting is model : DF200ATLSS2 .?? What prop are you running ? They will test run . He told me that 99% of boats like mine the best prop is 14 1/2 X 25 3 blade

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firemech048 View Post
    I just had a 200SS installed on my Gambler Outlaw. Prior to that I had a 150SS and I can tell you not once did I have a single issue with the 150SS and I got it in 2015. I just wanted a little more speed so I upgraded to the 200SS. Several features that Suzuki offers that made me choose them. The Suzuki offers an option to charge the starting and auxiliary battery off the alternator. Suzuki has a water cooled voltage regulator and built in battery isolator. There is a timing chain and not a belt. It holds 8.5 quarts of oil and not 5. I also like the fact that it has a 2.5 to 1 gear ratio in the lower unit. All that being said it sips fuel too! I think it is a great motor!
    That sounds like what I want to hear. The Falcon rep (turned out actually to be the co-onwer) said that they had a pro run one on their boats for two years, and they didn't have a single issue. There's no Suzuki repair team on the circuit, but it didn't matter, since the guy barely took his cowling off. It sounds like these are just sleeper hits. I also suspect it's why this boat sat. The dealer said people down there are stubborn about their motors, either Mercury or Yamaha for life, and it's very hard for them to switch. I can agree with that, bass fisherman are brand loyal people.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohio View Post
    That is awesome to hear. Me being a lifetime merc guy, I am a little anxious to see how it performs. I have read plenty of reviews stating pretty much what you said. As far as the SS, what is the difference my dealer seemed to think it was just the matte black finish. Is there more to it ? He said the one I am getting is model : DF200ATLSS2 .?? What prop are you running ? They will test run . He told me that 99% of boats like mine the best prop is 14 1/2 X 25 3 blade
    Wow, that sounds like a small prop for that motor especially a 3 blade. I'd be more inclined to that pitch in a 16 incher. If using a 16 inch prop IMHO the motor needs to be lower on the jackplate to keep from sucking in air especially on turns.
    Let us know what you end up with. Suzuki props are a hot topic here.

7. Member
    Will do. Thanks for the input.

8. Member
    I run a 14.5" x 27 pitch 3 blade. I have a 15.25" x 26 4 blade and i can put it on the rev limiter. In my opinion on bass boats the 16" is way to big. Suzuki is also recommending the 15.25 or 14.5 for bass boats.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

9. Member
    I have an 8” Atlas jack plate on my Gambler and in my set up the 16” props are terrible. I get much better performance from the smaller diameter. With the 2.5 to 1 gearing you can spin a higher pitch prop. My 3 blade 27 pitch has a good hole shot. I don’t have 10 hours on it yet so I can’t run it wide open all the time but the times I have opened it up I can still hit 6100 rpm even with the 27 pitch. The 26 pitch 4 blade is 15.25” and it’s a decent prop but I can put it on the rev limiter pretty easy. I have more testing to do to finally get a prop right for the boat. I am pretty confident I will be running at least a 27 pitch and may even try a 28 pitch.

10. Member
    Once again, I run the 16 inch diameter because it was cheap and cuts enough water to keep me off the rev limiter at top end. I'd run a 14 inch prop with my little 175 DF but on a 3 blade I think I'd need approximately a 30 pitch in a 14 & 1/4 inch diameter.

Cheap, cheap cheap. I have to run my prop to surface lower and that adds drag but hell, at $50 delivered for a new stainless steel prop, I bought happily. When I got my motor it had a 14 x 19 x 3 prop on it. It was a dragon wagon out of the hole, it could beat its shadow up to 35 MPH but that was where it topped out. It's now a 23.5 x 16 x 3 and it gets the job done for me.

At 6100 it's about 61-62 MPH.

11. Member
    I have a DF200A on a Polar Kraft TX195 and it came with a 3 blade 14.5 25pitch prop on it and performs well with that prop. Would like to try a 4 blade just to see if it would help staying on plane at a lower speed as I run some shallow rivers.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbruce View Post
    I have a DF200A on a Polar Kraft TX195 and it came with a 3 blade 14.5 25pitch prop on it and performs well with that prop. Would like to try a 4 blade just to see if it would help staying on plane at a lower speed as I run some shallow rivers.
    Add a new center if needed:
    Solar yamaha prop 25p

13. Member
    Hey, reviving this thread because I had another question. Do I need to fog the engine for storage? Nowhere in the manual says to fog the cylinders, just run fuel treatment through it and try to avoid condensation. I have to store it outside under the factory boat and motor cover.

14. Member
    I would probably not since it's a 4 stroke & from my understanding that's more of a 2 stroke thing. The best thing would be to run fuel stabilizer through the motor and change your out the lower unit oil to ensure that there's no water in it.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    I would probably not since it's a 4 stroke & from my understanding that's more of a 2 stroke thing. The best thing would be to run fuel stabilizer through the motor and change your out the lower unit oil to ensure that there's no water in it.
    Thanks, called a local dealer and they said they said the same thing. though they can fog if requested.