Lightbulb different approach to bass fishing on hot day

My friend and fishing partner and I went bass fishing the other day. We hit the water at 8.00 am. My friend caught the first fish after about I hour is less than 5 feet of water on a rattle trap. The fish was about ten feet off the shore in the shade. We fished the rest of the channel without any bites. We had tried crank baits, spinner baits, worms and nothing would entice a strike. Much later in the morning I put on a black and blue jig with a blue trailer and threw it out as far as I could cast it. I let the bait sink to the bottom and took in the slack and began to rip the bait through the water. I would pull the rod straight up and quickly take up the slack and pull again. I caught the biggest bass I have ever caught using this method. This was the first time I had ever ripped a bait this hard. Some times speed will cause a strike. Just fyi.

2. Member
    did you catch him on the pull or the pause. I would guess the pause while the bait is falling back down. Stroking a jig is a great method when the bass as suspended a couple feet off the bottom. Dropshot, flutter spoons, slow rolling an arig, swimbait, etc are also potential techniques. Good job on thinking outside the box!
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Yep I've heard that technique called ripping the sheets because of the noise the line makes ripping off the water.

4. Dogfish_Jones
    Here in the muggy south during hot weather by 8 am it’s time to start throwing a shakey head or something you can slow finesse your way around. From 5 am to 8 am is the best time for the morning catch, then you have to wait until 9pm to begin to have luck on crankbaits, top water or really anything fast.
    Now..... you might can go find an isolated hump near a channel a throw your deep diving crankbaits but the heat and humidity will wipe all your strength out pretty fast.

5. Member
    And on the Tennessee River they don't usually pull much water until the afternoon on the weekends, if at all, unless BASS or FLW have a tourney, they seem to need a lot more electricity on those weekends!!????