Optimax problems

Trim and rpm problem

Ok.so I was fishin wildcat Tourney last Thursday, at blast off everything seemed to be running great. Well I get down the lake and take off again I get up on plane and I'm about half throttle but my rpm gauge is showing 6200 nd I'm only running 45mph. So I stop trim motor up check prop everything looks good and tight. I take off again same thing . Now motor doesn't seem like its revving that high and sounds normal well I deside to trim motor up some more and while I'm trimming it it trim didnt stop like it normally does I think it would have trimmed all the way out of the water. Any help is greatly appreciated. By the way motor is 06 merc 225 optimax and boat is tr20 99 model thanks in advance..

Shouldn't the tim only raise so.high at running speed? New to this group so if I'm putting this in the wrong place please tell me thanks..
    Last edited by Mike monday; 09-12-2019 at 02:43 PM.

2. Member
    It's not possible for the trim system to trim to the trailer position while th boat is running at on plane speeds. What prop and hub kit are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    It's not possible for the trim system to trim to the trailer position while th boat is running at on plane speeds. What prop and hub kit are you running?
    Sure was on my partners 04 Optimax, running the river system at 60 mph, relay failed and trimmed it all the way up, The pucker factor was in play, one small patch of tulles and we were lucky enough to settle in them vs the rip rap. I jumped over to his side of the boat to slow down the left turn we were in
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    The design of a three ram trim system negates this from occurring. Electrical failures still won't allow it to happen.

Always been my understanding that the tilt ram was not powerful enough to overcome the down force of the prop. That's why the motor wont come past the trim rams no matter how long you hold the switch at WOT.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

6. Member
    You my friend are correct.....its not mechanically possible to occur.

Thanks for the info Savage, I have allways been concerned about this possibility on my newer motor. Every time I run in the Sacramento delta I remember that experience and it has caused me to change the way drive there, Now I know I can run a little harder and not worry about that
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor