Banned

Moving to Claytor Lake area

Will be working at the army ammunitiions plant. Anyone want to give me some hot spots or tips? From what I've been reading, I'm sure some of the tips will be "fish somewhere else" LOL!

That's the best advice I know of for that place. LOL

3. Member
    My advise would be to fish South Holsten Reservoir......Claytor has been extremely stingy to me the few times I have fished it.

4. Member
    Does anybody, or the state for that matter, have any idea what's up with poor fishing at Claytor? It's a fairly good size lake and I'd heard that it's got descent aquatic plant life. But you rarely if ever hear a recommendation to fish it.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

5. Banned
    I'm not sure what kind of boat you have but my best advice is buy you a jet boat and fish the New River. The river is some of the best small mouth fishing you will ever find. Heck you can even wade fish and catch all you want. Also lots of public land around that area that has good hunting and lots of good streams to Trout fish. Yes you will be giving up on LM bass fishing but the other stuff will make up for it.

6. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of boat you have but my best advice is buy you a jet boat and fish the New River. The river is some of the best small mouth fishing you will ever find. Heck you can even wade fish and catch all you want. Also lots of public land around that area that has good hunting and lots of good streams to Trout fish. Yes you will be giving up on LM bass fishing but the other stuff will make up for it.
    Claytor can be really good in the late fall thru the spring. When the hydrilla was around it was some of the best flipping and punching in Virginia. Once the grass left due to FOCL the fishing has turned to crap and most of the fish have turned pelagic and just swim around following the abundant bait balls all day long. FOCL is now on a mission to try and clear out as much shoreline habitat as possible now such as log jams, etc as it piles up against the docks in the coves.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

7. Member
    Friends......depends on point of view, eh?

Other than the Chick I suppose, and probably just because I'm a novice, I wouldn't know anywhere to punch or flip in VA...
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post

Other than the Chick I suppose, and probably just because I'm a novice, I wouldn't know anywhere to punch or flip in VA...
    Kerr lake is a good lake but you really are pitching more than flipping.

9. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post

3/4 oz weight, flipping hook and a beaver.. from 2010-2011 Take that set up and a flipping stick and hold on.. we caught some BIG largies this way those two years... miss those days.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

I took a 3 day trip to Claytor a few years ago in early december to try to catch smallmouth. First of all, none of my units had map data for it. Anyways I get there the first day, put in and catch 2 decent largemouth the first 30 minutes... I though, hey this might be a good trip. Think I caught 1 more spot that day, day 2 I fished daylight to dark and never had a bite. Third day I got up early and drove to Philpott.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

11. Member
    I live just a few miles from a lake ( Lake Chesdin ) that many around here would drive right past vs fishing it. Never have any luck there.

But if its close try it out and see if you can make it work???

And may fish Chesdin tomorrow,,,, Can't catch crap there
    Semper Fi

12. Member
    Its been many (30+) years since I fished Claytor seriously, so take this with a grain of salt. Back then it was a much better night fishery than daytime. It still wasn't great by any means. Best night areas were the steep banks with rock outcroppings and points across and upstream from the State Park. Be VERY careful running at night, as there usually are floating logs that can get you wet and won't do your boat any favors either. Idle is your friend. I'll 2nd the New River. Pick up a 14' john boat and a small outboard (extra props required) for manuvering. Take light tackle and do float trips. Be happy with smaller fish and lots of them. The section through the Arsenal was great, but take someone who knows it before you solo.

forget light tackle and smaller fish.. put some time in on the new river chasing 5 pound smallies , big walleye and giant musky and you won’t worry about how bad Claytor sucks

14. Member
    Claytor will have its days.... In the spring you will have no problem catching fish and a lot of them. The spawn will come and you will see that the lake has a huge population of big LG's and SM's. The past three weekends the lake has fished really well, 5 fish limits @ 14-16lbs of smallmouth winning. One good thing is you will be centrally located and can be on SML in about an hour and half. South Holston is about an hour and a half also.