OX66 RPM reduction

I just wanted to share some things that I have learned since I’ve read so much on here. I have a 2001 200hp vmax that has fought me tooth and nail. I’ve been through two rebuilds now, mostly due to my own ignorance but as I said earlier I wanted to share so maybe it will help someone else out in the future. First rebuild was due to water in the remote oil tank in the boat. Rebuilt it and put about 10 hours on it and I stuck my number 2 piston. First thing I noticed was no oil in engine mounted tank but oil tank in boat was full. After some troubleshooting I determined that the float in the tank was good and the pump in the remote tank was also good. During the second rebuild I took the drive for the oil pump out and I am now pre mixing. Since I went pre mix I kind of gave up on the pump not refilling the engine mounted reservoir but I was curious as to why the engine didn’t sound the horn and go into rpm reduction or limit mode. It wouldn’t do it for overheat either. I tested the horn and it was not working which would explain the lack of a warning horn to warn of no oil or overheat but I thought that the cdi should still limit fire. After lots of frustrating trial and error I finally ordered another cdi thinking it had to be an internal issue as to why it wouldn’t limit RPM’s. Installed and same thing, turns out I now have a spare cdi. Finally out of desperation I Jumped the warning horn and retested and viola it went into the rpm reduction mode. Only thing I can figure is the cdi has to see the closure of the thermo switch and it has to see voltage back from the horn in order to limit rpms.
    Sorry for the lengthy post just wanted to share my experience. Hope this helps someone out in the future

2. Member
    Thanks for Sharing