DC Fishing Question?

I live in Frederick MD and was planning on fishing the Potomac in DC this weekend. (Just moved here three months ago) I was told that the bass fishing was decent there and heard the best ramp to put my glass boat in was near an airport. My questions are the best place to put in and is worth making the trip? any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am aware I have to get a DC fishing license.

2. Scraps
    Advice, be careful especially around Fox Ferry. Find out where Fox Ferry is. I might not restrict myself to the DC area. Lots of easier places down south to fish and navigate around.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    If you want to check out the river the best place to launch is Leesylvania state park in Va or Pohick bay regional park in Va. You may lose your vehicle or worse at the airport ramp. If your looking to fish where the guy won that tournament last month get in line at Blue plains sewage plant. The fishing is off right now but it's still worth the trip.

4. Member
    Airport ramp not the place to go. Besides the Va places above, Ft. Washington marina and Marshall Hall are good for the mid to upper river and Smallwood State Park west of LaPlata for the mid to lower areas.

5. Member
    Make sure you carry your NASBLA boater safety card with you. DC license can be bought online now...
    https://www.takemefishing.org/distri...SAAEgJm7PD_BwE

And you MUST not be on plane in the nowake areas, especially around Alexandria, the water police are fussy about that....ask me how I know :) running the eastern side of the DC waters near Blue Plains and the Spoils is for the experienced only. My first trips I paid a guide to show me the lines, and then got a good friend and river rat to allow me to follow him around a few times and so far, have never hit anything to date.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

I haven’t been up that far this year, but when I lived in Gaithersburg, I used to put in at the airport ramp. It wasn’t bad, but on some low tides you had to have the truck in water to load the boat. DC has some good spots, but weekend boat traffic can be a pain. If you get out early enough before the big boats, you can fish directly across in Washington channel. Near the right side wall going in had a good rockpile and last year it had some good grass around it. The problem is when the bigger boats venture out the wakes just go back and forth because of the concrete walls on both sides. Like others have said, the waters north of the Woodrow Wilson bridge is full of prop eaters if you venture out of the channel. Look at a good map or use your Navionics chip and you’ll see the land mines. Have fun and let us know how the fishing is up there.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Member
    Recommend you pick up a GMCO pro series river map and study it. Some bait shops, or WalMart have them, or you can buy from GMCO. This is a really good map and well worth having to navigate the river.
    http://www.gmcomaps.com/checkout/ord...m_nooverride=1