Vessel View with Smartcraft Speedometer

I have installed the Vessel View on my boat and the motor information can now be viewed on my HDS 12 carbon which is great. There is a hitch that has showed up and that is my Smartcraft speedometer has quit registering speed. It worked just fine before I hooked up the Vessel View Link. I removed the cap plug from the mercury 4 way junction box and plugged the vessel view in then installed the nema 2000 tee in the network and selected the mercury icon on the HDS and it worked showing engine data on the depth finder. Put the boat in the water and everything worked except the Smartcraft speedometer will not show the speed everything else works on the gauge as far as the selection of other parameters on the speedometer except the analog speed indication. I'm open for any and all information or suggestions regarding a fix. I don't like to have a gauge that is not functional as it should be.
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

2. Member
    First, I'd suggest putting your S/N in your post..Don will request that. -- NEVER MIND, I see your S/N in your signature.

When you say Smartcraft Speedo, do you mean the SC-1000?
    IF I assume you mean the SC-1000 with the buttons and LCD display, what does the calibration menu say for Speed Source? You have choice of PITOT, Paddle, or GPS.

What were you using for speed sensor before the VesselView Link install? (Assuming you didn't change anything, I would think the Speedometer would still be set the same, but I am not totally sure of the config routines that VesselView link goes through on first install).
    I think VesselView Link can send GPS Speed back to the speedo from your HDS on its smartcraft link, but am not sure about that.

It is also possible that if you had the NEMA0183 output from your HDS hooked up to the speedo input, serving as your Speed Source, that the HDS turned off the Nema0183 output after you installed the VV Link...in which case you would just need to re-enable the NEMA0183 output and sentences again. BTW, if this was the config, the speedo also would not work if your HDS was off.

Net, give us a little more info about which speedometer, what it was using for speed source before you installed the VV Link, and what it is set to now.

I have a keen interest in the resolution of this, as I currently have SC-1000 Speedo and Tach, and have VV Link on my Wish list.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you see speed on the Vessel View Screens- you may need to look at where the System Link Speedo is connected.

As suggested above, knowing how the speed was read to the system Previously may be very helpful.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    First, I'd suggest putting your S/N in your post..Don will request that. -- NEVER MIND, I see your S/N in your signature.

When you say Smartcraft Speedo, do you mean the SC-1000?

Yes
    IF I assume you mean the SC-1000 with the buttons and LCD display, what does the calibration menu say for Speed Source? You have choice of PITOT, Paddle, or GPS.

It had to be set for GPS

What were you using for speed sensor before the VesselView Link install? (Assuming you didn't change anything, I would think the Speedometer would still be set the same, but I am not totally sure of the config routines that VesselView link goes through on first install).
    I think VesselView Link can send GPS Speed back to the speedo from your HDS on its smartcraft link, but am not sure about that.

It is also possible that if you had the NEMA0183 output from your HDS hooked up to the speedo input, serving as your Speed Source, that the HDS turned off the Nema0183 output after you installed the VV Link...in which case you would just need to re-enable the NEMA0183 output and sentences again. BTW, if this was the config, the speedo also would not work if your HDS was off.

I bet it was set for the NEMA0183 because I had to have a GPS source for it to work. I'll check that setting. The speedometer didn't work when I picked the boat up because BCB did not install the HDS units so there for the GPS source was not hooked up. I took the boat back to factory for other problems and they wired the power wire hookup for the HDS unit at the console so I bet you're right on the GPS source. I really didn't think that plugging the VV link in would change any of the settings for the SC-1000 speedometer.

Net, give us a little more info about which speedometer, what it was using for speed source before you installed the VV Link, and what it is set to now. I'll have to check

I have a keen interest in the resolution of this, as I currently have SC-1000 Speedo and Tach, and have VV Link on my Wish list.
    I do have the SC-1000 set of gauges and will check the settings to see if the VV link being installed shut some settings off on hooking it up. I'll let you know what I find out. The Vessel View Link is the way to go for all of the engine information displayed right in front of you while runing WOT in the upper 70's.
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496