1994 mercury 200 offshore cooling issues

Hi my name is django and new to this forum and I am having cooling problems with my outboard. My serial number is 0g060104. The boat sat for about 8 months with out being run in the water just the clam shell while working on a no start problem which turned out to be a bad ignition switch causing a no start. clipped the kill circuit wire problem solved. I took it out labor day weekend and idled fine reved up got on plane wot 15 mins later over heat alarm. Shut it down went to restart. Started then stalled again about 5 times wouldn't restart without it being throttled up. Once started would idle fine until got back up on plane to turn around alarm again. Had to idle back to the dock but no alarm. Shows 1 psi of water pressure at idle about 12 from what I looked at while driving at wot but still getting alarm. I replaced the water pump last summer drove it down Hartwell to Georgia and back no problem. Have replaced the trigger on it thinking that was the no start issue also the lead were deteriorated pretty bad so needed it anyway. Took the poppet off no tears and seemed to move freely pulled the thermostats off checked those. They are a little crusty but not bad. Any ideas on this issue. And can someone point me in the direction for replacement parts for the poppet valve. Also wondering how the bleed system works and would it cause a overheat problem and also the vacuum switch on the sb head how does that work. Also I was running the boat with the ignition switch kill circuit clipped haven't gotten around to replacing that. Thanks for reading and hopefully a reply or two

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Start at the source- the Water Pump. What was done months ago has almost no bearing on "today's" problem. Make sure that ALL THREE (3) gaskets are replaced.

Are the other functions of the ignition switch performing properly? I'm not at all crazy about the "clipped the kill circuit wire" technique.

Poppet valve- or most any other parts are available through our Parts Department (which apparently isn't far from you).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Poppet valve- or most any other parts are available through our Parts Department (which apparently isn't far from you).
    We should all be so lucky!!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I was diaging the no start which turned out to be the ignition switch shorted causing the no start. Was going to replace the switch which I have one just have to install but I forgot the correct crimpers at work. And yes all other functions of the switch work aka choke . My tach does not work currently whick I may think it may be the switch hopefully. If not the gauge. I had replaced the regulators but didn't fix the tach issues but does charge