Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I hadn't been down there in a while so on Friday I ran up to around Good Enough springs and found some good grass along the drains. We caught a 4.5 on a c-rig, a 3 on a frog, and a 2.5 punching hydrilla. Then some little fish. It gave me a little faith so went back on Saturday and struggled. Finally about noon, I caught a 3 pounder punching grass in the mouth of Zorro and then partner caught a 15.5-incher on deep point. We weighed those 2 on Saturday and were somewhere around the middle of the pack. Decided to go for broke on Sunday knowing that we needed 10 pounds or so that day to get a check. So I punched grass all day yesterday while partner slung a swimbait. We caught fish but had no weighers

We fished lots of good looking water. Grass edges in 19 foot within 100 yards of the river channel. Just no quality fish holding in places that should have held a few.

To answer the question above, there is good, healthy grass on the US side from about marker 19 to marker 22/23 on the points and following the drains. Looks really good. Not holding as many fish as you would think. I didn't fish any water between Box and 18 so I couldn't speak to that.

The mouths of Zorro, Tule and Caballo all have decent grass although the grass in Tule and Caballo isn't close enough to deep water for me. Some of the deepest grass I found (although not close to the river channel) was on the right-hand (North) side going into Caballo. There is about a 10-acre patch that looks really good. Caught some fish out of it, but they were all small. And it is a super windy spot if it is breezy.

I grew up down there and have fished it for 40 years. To me, this is about as tough as I have seen it in terms of catching decent fish. Of course, it is fishing somewhat like it did the in the 70's and 80's before there was any grass. But I haven't seen it be this slow since the mid 90's. Another crazy thing is that the fish are not only short, but we caught a bunch that just weren't healthy looking.

Oh well, it is what it is. I had a nice time and enjoyed seeing some old friends. I didn't expect to do any good--and I didn't. All in all, a good weekend and nice trip back home from up here in southern Canada.
    Last edited by squib; 09-23-2019 at 12:51 PM.

2. Member
    Saturday fished Mx side at 14. Caught 2 keepers in the grass. Went to Zorro got blown out. Caballo nothing either. Went to a few cuts near Good Enough caught a 3 in the slack back waters in the clear drains. Went to 28 worked south. Culled one on a deep bluff. Broke the ultrex lost net and Helix almost blew off hitting waves. Sunday started mouth of Castle Canyon, nothing lost a rod with a lews on it. Took off just north of the rain god, nothing, went to mama's island, nothing, went to burro, nothing. Back to 406, nothing. Went to road bed near the devils at 2pm missed a good one shallow. Weigh in cut off was for 3pm. 2:10 short strike another. 2:15 got a 3.5 and 5 min later 2.5. Had to roll ran out of the good water. 11.5 pds cut a small check. Punched grass and frogged all day. Missed some and caught about 15 fish for the 2 days. Fishing not great at all and I've but been out often, can pattern one day and the next it changes. There is good grass all over but takes time to find it. Been told winners frogged all day by a source (not confirmed).

3. Banned
    I left before the final weights were posted, surprised me to see them that high. Just more proof that I need to take up a new hobby or find another fishing partner.

Boom, did you spear a wave, jump a big one or was it the constant pounding?

I threw a frog both days and only had 1 dink hit it.

4. Member
    Jumped a big one. Also the pounding didn't help. Probably our worst day of fishing Sunday for us this year but was able to make something work out.

5. Member
    Jumped a big one. Also the pounding didn't help. Probably our worst day of fishing Sunday for us this year but was able to make something work out.

6. Banned
    Damn, we unloaded at box and ran north and south and never got beat up or broke anything. Glad I was in my new rig, this is the best riding boat I’ve had.

7. Member
    Triton; what are you driving now?

8. Banned
    Triton 21trxs, the big boat.

9. Member
    We were in a bk/yel 20I for day 1 probably driver error? My red/blk TR20X did fine day 2.

10. Banned
    Any of you guys win a door prize?

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6BOOMER View Post
    We were in a bk/yel 20I for day 1 probably driver error? My red/blk TR20X did fine day 2.
    I saw a black and yellow Skeeter up there I believe it had talons on it. I was in a grey and green triton with pole and new merc.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Any of you guys win a door prize?
    I was at home on the couch watching a ball game while that crap was going on.

13. Member
    Yep us. Also Me and partner won the Argons from the raffle. Maybe the fish god's were watching to replace the All Star Rod and Lews reel in the drink i lost..Lol.
    Last edited by 6BOOMER; 09-24-2019 at 09:49 AM.

14. Banned
    Yep us. Also Me and partner won the Argons from the raffle. Maybe the fish god's were watching to replace the All Star Rod and Lews reel in the drink i lost..Lol.

Were you wearing a blue long sleeved shirt, outside row, the one who thought they won; but it was the Skeeter ticket and then you did win a few draws later?

15. Member
    Yes close to front exit. Red Huk Shirt. Partner's eye' weren't so good.

16. Member
    I gave my partner my ticket and started the long drive back. He called and told me I won a Kistler rod at the raffle but I am not sure what rod it is. He is bringing it to me this weekend. Were the rods decent?

17. Member
    For the Skeeter ride they are Kistler heavy rods, regular raffle 7.3 Kistler Argon Frog/Worm/Light Gig. Decent rods.
    Last edited by 6BOOMER; 09-24-2019 at 11:41 AM.

18. Banned
    Yes close to front exit. Red Huk Shirt. Partner's eye' weren't so good.

My idiot buddy was the other one that stood up with the Skeeter numbers. I told him, that’s the wrong ticket dumbass, sit down; but he wouldn’t listen to me and kept calling them over.

19. Member
    I hear that..

20. Member
    Hopefully we won’t have the ticket issue. We will try and change ticket colors. Thanks to everyone for for coming out to fish.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast