Which 4 stroke for an 07 Puma and why?

Thinking of 4 stroking my Puma. I’m tired of fighting my Mercury but love my boat. What are your thoughts on the SHO, Honda, Suzuki and of course the 4 stroke offerings from Merc? I run an 07 Puma, 4 batteries and an Ultrex. I don’t care about going 75-80 which is easy now in my Racing XS but i do want good hole shot, 68-70 cruising when nice conditions, and hopefully better fuel economy and of course more reliability. The last being my biggest driver for researching and thinking seriously about this. Thx
    Danny

Probably easiest is to get a new Merc pro xs as the controls will swap over. As always if you repower realize it will not bring a lot more money when it is time to sell the rig. If you are gonna stay in it for a long time then it makes some sense. New 4 stroke mercs are getting some good reviews.

3. Member
    I would go with a 250 Pro XS 4S or if you are not worried about resale with regard to tournament HP restrictions on certain platforms put the 300 Pro XS 4S. I hope my 07 stays strong long enough so that I would not have to re power.

Since this is a 2007 model we would be careful investing too much on a used boat. Of course we understand you probably popped a power head and now need a new one, in most cases like this. Most this age have a 225 engine and we would consider staying 225 for the cost range, and price it between the 225-250. The 300 is higher and on a used rig not worth the expenditure, unless your just passionate about owning one.

We always suggest anything over 8 years get pricing updated on new vs. repowering. If the cost to move up is not more than 25-30% more, we would consider it. We frequently suggest major upgrades be held back and that money retained for a new package with those upgrades on it. Prices are 10% less on packages joined, there is no installation fee or frustration and the boat, trailer and all gets replaced. It’s just a better long term value.

That being said we do understand wanting to upgrade components and power. Still in the end it’s like wheels, tires, lift kits and bumpers on an older 2007 model year truck. In the end you still have an old truck. We totally understand that and everyone knows we play that game ourselves.

5. Member
    BCB, yes I am weighing both options for sure. Didnt pop a power head luckily, just fuel issues but with all of that said I wanted a 4 stroke when I bought the boat, and should have been more patient, but I wasnt so here I am. It has a 250 and the performance is amazing and this is my second 07 Puma, I love the hull and everything about it so that is why Im chasing both options. I have done way more to this boat than I should and I may not be done yet, who knows. Thanks all for the input and dont be afraid to keep it coming.
    Danny

A friend of Mine (he is on the boards here) just repowered his late 2000s Cougar FTD with a Suzuki 250SS and is loving it.http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=suzuki

The Suzuki has been out a few years and the SHO out close to ten years and both are proven reliable motors. I love the new V8 Mercs but I would give them a few years to work out the "kinks" in them first; it would be easiest to repower with another Merc though as there is no rigging change.

Honda is not one I considered as they are heavy and slow but they are super reliable...I don't even know of a Honda Marina within hours of me so that would be out of the question.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

7. Member
    Thanks BH, sent him a PM to get some advice and feedback. I appreciate the help!

8. Member
    Just in regards to the weight issue I would put Mercury at the top of my list and then Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda. Check on he four stroke board and see how they are doing I haven't heard of many issue's.

My go to mercury guy and I chatted before the release of the new 4s... he told me it was around the corner and if had to buy a new 4s other than a mercury it would go in this order. Suzuki, Honda, yamaha sho. He still is not convinced that the sho's have all the bugs worked out. My local area is loaded with skeeter dealers and I still see some motors make oil, and have other strange issues. I know a few running hondas with zero issues but alot slower. Not any suzuki guys in my area with 250's but they look like decent motors and you could probably save some $ snagging one off a pontoon or other boat that had one as a demo?
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

10. Member
    I was in a similar position as Bitman was a few years ago with my 06 Puma and got tired of fixing my 225 Pro XS and decided to repower vice buy a new boat all together and have another payment since my boat was already paid off. After doing my research and comparing every outboard out there, I ended up going with Suzuki 250SS since it was a cheaper option than getting a Yamaha or an Evinrude G2. It was actually cheaper for me to get another 250 Pro XS or a Mercury Verado, but decided to stay away from Mercury due to poor dealer support on where I live. Granted the Suzuki is not the fastest outboard out there, but it gets me back and I've had zero issues in the 2 plus years of ownership. Had I known about the Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke, I may have held off and tried to get on a waiting list to repower at a different dealer. However, I'd also hold off on getting a Suzuki since there are rumors out there that Suzuki will be releasing a new lower unit for the 250SS at the end of the year that is comparable to the Mercury Torque Master that increases top end performance.
    Last edited by booter; 09-13-2019 at 06:05 AM.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

The Suzuki 250 SS came out in 2006, before other four strokes.

12. Member
    I repowered my 08 Cougar with a new Merc 4s after the 2s popped. The hole shot is crazy fast and the mid range cruising speed for me is at 5500 rpm is about 70-72 with a 25p fury and it burns little to no gas. It has the top end when I want to go fast but has everything else when I want to cruise

It is so good to hear that the hole shot came up when the engine was replaced. We had little options years ago with a Mercury customer base and the hole shot suffers more, while top end is extremely good with the 2 stroke engines.

The holes shot on boat designs was a difficult target and we often got accused on the hole shot. Boat design was hard to meet a middle ground with ranges of hole shot from the 2 stroke to a 4 stroke of one brand which was extremely good. It is pleasing to see Mercury improve their hole shot in line with others and that is one of the most significant gains in the new V8 engine.