'97 195 TF Rod Locker

I have a 1997 195 TF, what kind of rod storage has anyone come up with for the port side rod locker? With the console in the way it can be difficult to get 6'+ rods in there. Looking for ideas.

Thanks all...

2. Member
    Those lids were short back then. How many people were using 7ft rods back in 1997 though?

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Those flat consoles from that era were tough on all boats The new boats have round consoles and a gap to get the rods out, even with the new design I still use socks and no tubes.

4. Member
    I have a 1997 186TF, I put a recessed foot pedal in so I had access all the way to the front. What I did was use as large a diameter PVC pipe as would fit into the nose of the boat. As I got closer to the storage area I put a reducer (expander depending on which way you look at it) to make the input larger, so if my PVC pipe was 5 inches, which I think it is, it expands to like 7 inches on the back end. I then used a counter top laminate, maybe 1/8th inch thick and rolled it up, taped it with 3m super tape (not the real name) at one end, forming a cone. Measured the diameter of the cone to match the inside of the "expander/reducer' and cut to fit with a funnel effect aimed at the hole. Just put super tape around the whole thing and secured it. A couple of snips to the laminate and it unfolds to reach the outer edges of the storage area, it even will overlap when you cut it. Tape up the seams with super tape and you have a smooth as silk transition into the cone and then the PVC pipe. I get 16 rods easily into this modification (with rod socks). Fits up to 7 foot rods, but that is the longest i own. I actually store 3700 boxes behind the rods creating a multi-layer rod butt holder!

5. Member
    E4aBiTAjTHCKNC8ctuTKNg.jpgmsSrHhMpQeSAqkSyDXf6Lg.jpgJp5rKAQPRUGdJkM%x0sE+Q.jpgVynlabxGQC6aLY1DKZxbyg.jpg
    The pic with four rods are my 7 footers. Ignore the shadows, my big mug!

6. Member
    Nice job Woody! I actually had the same boat. The rod locker was huge! The 1997 195 actually had a smaller lid. It was made larger around 1999 or 2000?

7. Member
    So you pretty much used the PVC and laminate as a slicker surface/guide for everything. Simple, effective, and easy. I have some ideas now, thanks a ton!

8. Member
    Thanks guys. I think I need to go into boat design. Cant believe these guys get 75K plus for putting out boats that need work. lol

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The 195 was designed in 1980
    If you want really big get a 797 there is no problem with getting rods in and out.