Not what you want to see when the blank order you've been waiting on shows up...

Luckily RodGeeks is doing me right. Replacements on the way!

Still don't know why these companies ship in cardboard...they must have better relationships with the shippers than the rest of us. If they had to eat these costs I can't imagine it'd be cheaper than using PVC! Not a huge deal as long as they keep stepping up I suppose.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    They were nice enough to repackage my friends rod when they busted the tube.

rod.jpgrod2.jpg

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Still don't know why these companies ship in cardboard...they must have better relationships with the shippers than the rest of us. If they had to eat these costs I can't imagine it'd be cheaper than using PVC! Not a huge deal as long as they keep stepping up I suppose.
    We see no difference in damage volume between rolled paper tubes and PVC. PVC breaks also. We believed the same as you - but we switched to paper (due to cost and availability) and our claims have actually dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post

rod.jpgrod2.jpg

6. Member
    PVC and cardboard tubes usually break when they get caught on the conveyor belt and get wedged.
    DG

Quote Originally Posted by dan grulke View Post
    PVC and cardboard tubes usually break when they get caught on the conveyor belt and get wedged.
    DG
    This is correct. I know people that work at UPS, USPS etc and they all say the same thing... The tubes should never get put on that conveyor belt. They get caught on something and a million lbs of square box's behind keep coming. It takes a lot of force to break a PVC tube... We pay a lot of money to ship, And very little effort is made for the safe delivery to the destination.

They all know the problem, Yet it continues to stay the same.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post

rod.jpgrod2.jpg
    Omg...

9. Moderator
    had a rod delivered and tube was snapped in half. They put tape over where the cardboard tube was broke. When I opened it I had a 2 piece rod.

10. Member
    Ordered six custom rods once, after a four or five month wait, they all came in a large tube with five of the six broken, haven't ordered a rod since.

I love the FRAGILE sticker... "THANK YOU"

Nobody knows how this effects "ME"

Interesting info from ALX.

I'll say this: I've seen this happen a lot from both FedEx and UPS. It *seems* like it doesn't happen as often with USPS. That's the way I ship my rods anyhow since it's way cheaper, but could it be that they don't get put on conveyor belts, or at least as much with USPS?

This is really anecdotal, I know, but I have been in quite a few distribution centers for all three carriers when I worked for my dad's pressure washing business washing trucks. At the origin and final points at least - by that I mean the place where the trucks either come from customers or leave to deliver to customers - USPS doesn't have conveyors. Both UPS and FedEx do. Now I don't know what happens in between, but I feel like missing the conveyor belt at the delivery and receiving post offices has to lower the odds for damage for post office deliveries if that's common across the country.

The "Fragile" sticker was part of the reason I felt compelled to share the photo. The irony would make it funny if it wasn't me!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Interesting info from ALX.

I'll say this: I've seen this happen a lot from both FedEx and UPS. It *seems* like it doesn't happen as often with USPS. That's the way I ship my rods anyhow since it's way cheaper, but could it be that they don't get put on conveyor belts, or at least as much with USPS?

This is really anecdotal, I know, but I have been in quite a few distribution centers for all three carriers when I worked for my dad's pressure washing business washing trucks. At the origin and final points at least - by that I mean the place where the trucks either come from customers or leave to deliver to customers - USPS doesn't have conveyors. Both UPS and FedEx do. Now I don't know what happens in between, but I feel like missing the conveyor belt at the delivery and receiving post offices has to lower the odds for damage for post office deliveries if that's common across the country.

The "Fragile" sticker was part of the reason I felt compelled to share the photo. The irony would make it funny if it wasn't me!

We had 3x the damage claims with USPS - by far the worst of all. Abandoned them years ago. One major issue with USPS is many locations use contract or rural carriers and rod tubes literally hang out of the window, etc driving down the road. We get it all the time at our shop when guys send in rods for repairs. Driver pulls up, rod tube hanging out the window. For a bit we had a driver who refused to deliver tubes because she had a small car and we had to go downtown and pick them up. Finally they put a USPS truck on our route now so they have room to carry stuff.