Thread: Electric brakes

Electric brakes

Anyone ever installed electric brakes on there trailer? Thought about giving it a try.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Lot of work and money for little to no benefit. No such thing as electric disc brakes, so you have to go electric over hydraulic. $600 for the pump alone. You have to add a battery to the trailer for the breakaway.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Why couldn’t you just go straight electric?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_185 View Post
    Why couldn’t you just go straight electric?
    You have to go with drum brakes to have electric
    nothing else matters.​

Yeah that’s fine with me. I live in steep country my surge brakes are braking most of the time even when I’m not.

6. Member
    I rebuilt my trailer 3 years ago and I decided to install electric brakes on it. Previously it didn’t have any brakes as it is a small lighter boat but I wanted the added safety. Never looked back and haven’t had any issues. Super simple and easy to install but you do have to do drum brakes which is fine by me.

There is a reason you don't see factory installed electric drum brakes on boat trailers anymore.
    They work fine for awhile.. the type of water you frequent will determine how long before those little parts inside start rusting and the problems begin.

I’m in freshwater only. The price is so much cheaper on the electric drums you could completely replace every 2 years for what it cost to fool with the surge brakes.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’m in freshwater only. The price is so much cheaper on the electric drums you could completely replace every 2 years for what it cost to fool with the surge brakes.
    Surge brakes are so cheap and simple I don’t understand how anything could be easier or cheaper. I have 3 trailers with electric brakes and I spend way more time working on any of those than the boat trailer brakes. Drum brakes have to be adjusted pretty well every year.
    nothing else matters.​

Ever time I get to the ramp and back my boat in the brakes are so hot steam rolls off them. That cant be good for bearings. I have friends with the same issue that just took the breaks off completely.

Ever time I get to the ramp and back my boat in the brakes are so hot steam rolls off them. That cant be good for bearings. I have friends with the same issue that just took the breaks off completely.
    If you have disc brakes and they are getting that hot, you have some issues that need to be resolved. I have UFP surge brakes on my trailer and they are fairly simple to work on. My brake hubs are under 120 degrees when I get to the ramp area or get home. I only tow 12 miles.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

What problems could I be having? My wheels spin freely when the brake isn’t engaged and there isn’t any sound of the pads dragging or a sticking caliper.

Are you going down a step grade before getting to the launch area.
    some steep hills will activate the brakes from the boat pushing on the truck..

I had em, I also used self adjusting brakes. Never had a. Issue.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

15. Member
    On my last boat, which was about 9000 lbs fully loaded with trailer, I had electric over hydraulic brakes and they were great. Well worth the cost for a boat that size. Made towing (well, stopping obviously) much nicer. But that was a large sport boat and, as mentioned, very heavy.

Current fishing boat just has surge disc brakes and they work great. Having used both, I for one would not spend the extra money on converting to current trailer to electric over hydraulic. I doubt it would make any appreciable difference with a boat and trailer fully loaded at 5000 lbs or so.

I’m not looking to convert to electric over hydraulic just straight electric brakes. As I stated before not just the ramp I put in at is steep all the ramps in my area plus the half a mile getting there is steep.

Definatley an issue with surge brakes and a steep grade.

18. Member
    Installed electric brakes on my 1995 Champion trailer. They work great, and was easy to install. Yes they are drum, and they technically aren't "electric" they're magnetic, and if you think about it, dunking them in the lake isn't any different than driving through rain. I love that I can adjust how much braking on my trailer I want. I too drive mountainous rds heading to the lake, and they save brakes on my pickup, and I can stop so much easier. Just remember to turn down controller when trailer is empty
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost

dunking them in the lake isn't any different than driving through rain.
    Well; almost the same. I've never watched water run out of a vehicle brake assembly for several minutes after driving in the rain.
    IMO the type of water has a lot to do with it. Where I live the water is hard and salty. Also very few cars get submerged and then sit and rust before being used again.
    Another thing, I've not noticed any newer vehicles without disc brakes.
    In this case (OP) it might be a viable option, just beware of the possible issues and maintain accordingly --Good luck

20. Member
    Never had water pour out for a couple minutes after I pulled trailer out of water either. Just saying, I don't have any problems or issues with the electric brakes
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost