Buying a 2004 BC Cougar with 250 Yamaha 3.1 L fuel injected VMax

Hi. Thanks in advance. Put deposit on privately owned rig today. Pending test drive tomorrow. Can you all tell me anything to look out for with that engine and any insight into that year Cougar would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Oil pump updates possibly. If it doesn’t have one it may need one. Even after that we suggest some light oil in the gas, maybe 100:1 mixture.

3. Member
    it's a cat!! will be awesome!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    I would find out what maintenance has been done to it. The 3.1L OX66 is a great engine however their are some things to be aware of. It has 3 low pressure fuel pumps (if sitting for long periods the diaphragms could be shot depending on the fuel used). I would check the two thermostats, fuel line (is it EPA compliant also meaning it can handle ethanol), check spark plugs, and check/clean O2 sensor (yes this engine has an oxygen sensor). If your worried or have questions call Hydrotech they know their Yamaha's. next up would be checking the LU oil and impeller/seals. To have a shop replace all the items mentioned you are looking at $1,000 bucks give or take.

5. Member
    I had an ‘04 250 EFI Vmax back in the day. Quiet and ran strong, but it did drink the gas. 2 issues I had were O2 sensor failure twice, and it was constantly getting sand granules making the Poppet valve stick when I idled through skinny water. Flushed it with the water hose regularly, and it solved the issue.

6. Member
    That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get. I will look into those items. Thanks!

Btw. Bought the boat. Took for test run. All I can say is WOW what a difference between that 250 Yamaha and the Fast Strike 150 on my Stratos 295 PEDC. Unreal performance. Should have upgraded to a 250 class engine/boat years ago.

7. Member
    Congrats on your new Cat. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Besides this forum, there is also a very helpful owners board over on the BCB web site.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

We suggest you pay attention to a tidbit of oil being run in the gasoline. Hope you enjoy the boat!

That rig also should qualify for Quest incentives if you fish tournaments and complete the transfer.

Find links on how to adjust the oil linkage. Run ringfree religiously. Add seafoam and stabil too. There’s tons of info regarding the low pressure pumps and how to bypass them with an electric pump. The efi yam is a beast as you called it but does require maintenance to keep them bullet proof. It’ll use fuel at WFO, but any engine ran wide open will also use fuel in order to develop their max rated HP. Hydrotec is your friend. Message me for more info.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

10. Member
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. I am pumped to run the new rig. I am working on a list of good questions to ask, mainly on the motor. I have detailed and gone over every square inch of the boat and trailer which was in excellent condition, especially for its age..garage kept. I really have no concerns with either boat or trailer. My main concern is with the Yamaha EFI motor, and understanding what to do maintenance wise to prevent major issues like powerhead replacement, etc. Boat was owned by an older gentleman that only put 134 hours on engine since new. Boat has sat with out use for the past few years due to his health issues, which I know is not good for any outboard. That being said I did test drive boat on local lake with son and it started right up and ran out beautifully. Water pump working well. Engine looks new. Any inputs as to what you would do with motor initially would be appreciated. Thanks again. ! Btw Larry Eby, I will definitely look into Hydro Tec in Nixa. I plan on using the rig on Table Rock Lake and I have heard several times from various sources how great they are at Hydro Tec...I will be messaging you when I develop some good questions to make good use of your time��

No prob. Not that I don’t mind questions, but sometimes many minds can help more. So don’t be afraid to post questions to the Yamaha forum here as well. Many know more than I.

Go through all of the filter screens. VST, water fuel separator, and the small screen leading to the fuel regulator. Changing all of the fuel hoses out. Installing an inline 10micron fuel filter. Cleaning the O2 sensor passageway. Check the efficacy of the 3 low pressure fuel pumps, and the squeeze bulb. Running ringfree, seafoam and stabil. The lower unit needs fresh lubricant. The water pump should be replaced too. Just for starters. Once you get on top of the usual suspects. Everything should fall in place. These yam efi engines are tough, but proper maintenance is necessary.