Friend's New 4-Stroke Oil Leaking

A friend at work has a new pontoon in a storage unit and left the motor trimmed down because of limited storage space. When they came back to take it out there was a large puddle of oil underneath it. The dealer says the motor has to be trimmed half-way up or it will leak. Is that correct? Sorry, no serial number but I'm pretty sure it's a 115hp mercury
    4-stroke.

2. Member
    Not sure I can help you, but my 150 stays nearly vertical due to space and zero leaks.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

Really, trimmed half way up or it will leak? I would ask how was the motor designed to run, Half way up. I would do everything I could do to "Punish" a dealer that would make that statement. Bold Face Lie.

4. Member
    I would ask the dealer to put that statement in writing!

5. Member
    My new 2019 ProXs 200 4s was overfilled with oil from the dealer or the factory. I found this out when I left it trimmed all the way down for about a week and there was about a dime size spot of oil on the floor. I checked the oil level on the motor and it was over full. I drained about 3/4 of a quart out and left it trimmed level and never saw another sign of a leak.

6. Member
    I can assure you, the motor is NOT required to be trimmed to any specific position to not leak...Indeed, I think you will find in the owners manual the recommendation that if it is stored, it be stored vertical, to allow the water to drain out of the cooling system.

If it is leaking, there is an issue...could be overfull, could be a gasket or seal, could be the drain plug not tight, or a host of other things...
    Start simple, check the dipstick...should be within the safe area, but not to the top of it, more like 2/3 up or so (says the correct level in the owners manual).

I'd suggest posting your friend's S/N here, since that info is required on all posts by our awesome moderator, Don!
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 09-13-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

7. Member
    Mine was filled over the top of the 4th bead.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's some new kind of silliness for sure.

Engine should not leak oil at any normal trim position (including FULL DOWN).

Good idea to have your friend post if he needs further assistance (he should take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting). Thanks!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-13-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor