Thread: optimax or EFI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    the EFI is 2.5 and the optimax in 3.0 hence the weight difference..

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    What's all this "service" you guys have paid to have done on your Opti's???... I've own 4 and have never paid anyone to service my engines. I change lower unit oil once a year (the shop I go to charges 1/2 hr plus oil, couldn't be more that $75), I change the impeller every 3 years and spark plugs every 2 years. Other than a couple of coils, a head and gaskets, all which were covered under warranty I've never paid to have any service done... Now the thermostats clogging, that's an issue I like to talk to a Mercury engineer about... Dan
    The first 150 Opti I had was terrible, blew three times in ten hours. Mercury more than made it right with a 175 ProXS replacement. That motor was good until a coil went out. By time it was really fixed Mercury had replaced the entire wiring harness and all the coils. I made lots of trips to the shop in between. I traded that one with 120 hours or so. The 225 was a good motor. As I mentioned above routine service and getting the steel reeds replaced as it aged negated any savings. My current had a trim issue, that’s the only issue in the three years I’ve owned it. The three year service (yes I could have done it myself but with several more years warranty let a dealer do it cost me 750.00. From what I’ve read that’s the going rate no matter what brand 115 you’re running.

The 225 was approaching the age to need fuel rails and injectors cleaned when I traded it.

I’d have a good ole 2S carb motor if they were still available new. Of course back then they only came with a year or two warranty.

3. Member
    I have never had an OPTI but my efi has been good to me my buddy has an OPTI and the fuel and oil efficiency in my opinion is a pretty significant difference

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT@1954 View Post
    What about the 1992 Mercury XRI is it a strong motor if cared for
    It's still kicking 28 years later, that tells you a lot!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

If the warranty covers everything, I would go with the Opti. Also the 3.0L will have better low end torque along with fuel and oil economy. Good Luck

6. Member
    I would go Optimax over EFI.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatseller View Post
    If the warranty covers everything, I would go with the Opti. Also the 3.0L will have better low end torque along with fuel and oil economy. Good Luck
    Agree

8. Member
    I would also agree on this with larger gear case as my efi will not turn one of the fury 4’s because of the smaller gear case just FYI

9. Member
    1999 and 2000 optis had a class action suit about injector failure.Make sure they have been replaced. if i had a motor blow right now i would try and upgrade to a fourstroke

10. Member
    First off, no mechanic here, but I do have an opinion. To be honest, with that age of engines, make your best educated choice and hope for the best. I would not factor fuel or oil usage in my decision, rather, go for dependability as the main criteria in the decision. Also, 2.5 vs 3.0 on some hulls make a difference in your hole shot.

On the Optis this age, the quirks should have been addressed long ago, but you do still have compressors to muddy up the water.

Tough decision to make for sure. FYI, I've ran a 225 Opti for working on 20 years, and it had its known issues on the front end, which were addressed, and it's been an outstanding engine since. Still, I don't know which I would go with. EFIs have a strong reputation for dependability in part due to being less complicated, with the Opti being a more complicated engine, which gives you a more efficient engine, but with more areas for possible failure. Tough decision. Good luck.

11. Member
    Four Stroke!

12. Member
    The XRI is a 2.5 liter 150

13. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The EFI will use more fuel.....but those things run and run.....The Optis have more grunt but are prone to the compressor problems and electrical.....Bud of mine is happy to pour the fuel to his 175 Black Max EFI 95 year model...Personally I think the EFI was Merc's flagship as was the Faststrike/Intruder was for OMC...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12