Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battery list for V8 ?

Does Merc have a list of compatable batteries for the 250R?-- 1E080667

Never Mind ----Its above

2. Member
    I have the X2 and no problems yet!

thats were I'm leaning towards right now.
    guess I'll have a 125 AH lithium for sale..

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    thats were I'm leaning towards right now.
    guess I'll have a 125 AH lithium for sale..
    Why?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury recommends an AGM for the V6/V8 Fourstrokes. Really need something 975 or higher CCA.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    X2 works well. Relion 100-HP works as well.
    2018 Phoenix 920 / Mercury 250R

Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    Why?
    From what Merc says The Lithium is not compatable with the new V8.
    I've heard several reasons - this one really concerns me.. The R motor puts out too much voltage when running for the BMS. It could trip the BMS high voltage cutoff. When that happens your battery shuts off and then the motor shuts off. Not something you want to happen at wide open throttle in a fast boat,.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Out M3180-sc 12v lithium battery is very capable with that engine as out management will adsorb the excess voltage without shut off

9. Member
    Has anyone tried 2 smaller AGM batteries in parallel? I just hooked up (2) Group 34 Duracell AGM (Deka) from sams club in parallel which gives me more CCA,MCA,and reserve capacity than the X2Power 31 AGM I previously put in the boat. The weight of the X2 is 10lb less than two group34s, but I was still getting low voltage problems at start up with the X2 with (2) Solix 12 units. Hopefully this will address that.

My only concern there was my MK460PC charger, but Humminbird said their chargers will charge parallel batteries just fine if they done cause the bulk charge phase to exceed the max charge time (something like 20 hours @15A).

I have yet to put the boat in the water, but she charged up just fine last night. Just wondering why I haven't heard of someone already doing this...

10. Member
    Maybe Space is a concern for some people, is acutally not a bad idea, but Charge time could also be a problem.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

11. Member
    Charge time wasn't bad since the two group 34s have about the same capacity as the group 31 X2Power battery I had in it. (110Ah vs 100Ah). Knowing that there will be a wink link in this chain, I assume I'll have about the same capacity once one of the batteries starts to become more "degraded" than the other, but if thats the only issue I see I'll be happy.

12. mikesxpress
    If your inquiry is for the "best" battery you have to compare performance specifications & warranty.

This is the benchmark AGM battery for marine use.
    (The X2 is comparable) It's a group 31 and exceeds Mercury Marine starting battery specifications, and has more CCA's than the big box store battery offerings. I get 5-7 years out of my four batteries. Not cheap.

Link to specifications:
    https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/31m-pc2150st?pp=12

13. Member
    Thanks Mike, but unfortunately I still see low voltage warnings on my two Solix 12 units after ~4hrs of fishing (not a lot of running to recharge) with the X2Power 31AGM, so after speaking with my dealer and doing some of my own research my best options were to add a 5th battery in a parallel configuration or as a house battery. The main reason I got away from the house battery (w/ACR to isolate the battery from the starter/cranking battery) was due to the extra ~70lbs for that extra battery. I really don't need the capacity as much as I need a low resistance battery to minimize voltage drop during startup. I had the dealer check my wire routing and that doesnt seem to be the issue.

My main concern at this point is how this parallel configuration will affect my Merc 225 4S ProXS. I dont see any obvious issues with the parallel batteries, should just split the charge current in half for each battery, but the obvious stuff isnt what bites ya. Anything Im missing here?
    Last edited by Bmdubya; 09-17-2019 at 07:47 AM.

14. mikesxpress
    What is the amp draw on those birds?

I run two Lowrance HDS 12's and a LWX-1 weather module along with two gen1 Sportsman II Power Poles, and livewell all day off that one Odyssey and never have any issues. Something else must be pulling the battery down?

15. Member
    I've had the same concern, but my understanding is that the Solix 12 units pull 2.88A and when you factor in a few amps for recirculation of the livewell its not hard to see ~7.75A pulling the X2 battery to ~70% SOC in about 4hrs and to 40% SOC in 8hrs.

I'll continue to look into the possibility of something else pulling current, but if thats not the issue I think a low impedance battery bank could possibly stay above the 10.5V required by HB SOLIX units.

Bmdubya have you hooked up and amp meter to the battery and checked the draw? It looks like you may have as you know the amps of the finders.

I had a similar issue after fishing all day and heavy use of the power poles my starting battery was dead. I hooked up and amp meter to the battery and turned on every accessory in my boat and measured the current draw. I was shocked at the draw from having 4 big depth finders turned on all day does. Now I put the finders in the back of the boat in sleep mode when I'm fishing. I also installed a emergency start switch to use a trolling battery as a jump battery if I need to with a turn of the switch.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    From what Merc says The Lithium is not compatable with the new V8.
    I've heard several reasons - this one really concerns me.. The R motor puts out too much voltage when running for the BMS. It could trip the BMS high voltage cutoff. When that happens your battery shuts off and then the motor shuts off. Not something you want to happen at wide open throttle in a fast boat,.
    What exactly is the output voltage when running? There should be zero ambiguity about what it can put out. I have the same 125AH Li batt you do, I think, and I've been throwing around the idea of a 200hp V8 repower, so that's why I'm interested.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Bmdubya have you hooked up and amp meter to the battery and checked the draw? It looks like you may have as you know the amps of the finders.

I had a similar issue after fishing all day and heavy use of the power poles my starting battery was dead. I hooked up and amp meter to the battery and turned on every accessory in my boat and measured the current draw. I was shocked at the draw from having 4 big depth finders turned on all day does. Now I put the finders in the back of the boat in sleep mode when I'm fishing. I also installed a emergency start switch to use a trolling battery as a jump battery if I need to with a turn of the switch.
    I haven't hooked up a meter to the boat yet, but I'll work on that this evening to be 100% sure its not a wiring/quiescent current issue. I have to do the same thing as far as putting the units in standby when not using them. I just hate how there is no shortcut for standby on the Solix units. Seems to me they could program that feature in pretty easily, but that's another thread for another day.

19. mikesxpress
    I'm interested in seeing the results of your amp draw testing on those birds in full operating mode and in standby.
    I don't put my console unit in standby. It runs wide open all day along with the bow mounted unit. If I put the console unit in standby, my networked down/side scan sonar ducer mounted on the transom also goes off-line. As I have that as a screen box on my bow unit I need it on.

20. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    What exactly is the output voltage when running? There should be zero ambiguity about what it can put out. I have the same 125AH Li batt you do, I think, and I've been throwing around the idea of a 200hp V8 repower, so that's why I'm interested.
    Kevin read up on-line for the variable charging attributes of the V8. This engine will even sense a low battery condition and increase engine idle speed while in neutral to charge more. I've never experienced it doing that on my rig but it's supposed to be one of the perks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast