4 STROKE XS COWLING

Anyone having a problem with the latches locking properly on the cowling of your xs four strokes ?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required info when posting. Thanks!

I have not seen any problems with top cowling handle/latches. All I've operated worked well as long as the button was pushed when moving the handle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Only if you miss the guides. Put a little WD on the cowl seal and she'll slide down a little easier

4. Member
    Are the XS cowling's lighter than the standard fourstoke? I have a standard V6 200 and I must admit the cowling seems heavy.

5. Member
    I heard the Pro XS cowling was 'lighter', but good lord it's heavy !!!! Much heavier than my old Opti Pro XS cowling. I don't know what these new ones actually weigh, but it feels like 20+ lbs !!!! (or more)
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The cowlings are considerably heavier- and should normally be removed from inside the boat (for best leverage, least strain).

Most of the CMS V8 cowlings are essentially the same.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Mine is an absolute bugger. I dread pulling it off. I have a warranty claim on it. When we hung the motor the dealer commented on it as well. I think the latches are not adjusted properly. Mine cracked the cowl. Still waiting to hear on the warranty.

Right now I leave it on and if I have to pull it, I usually get down on the floor with a flash light and make sure everything is lined up. You should not have to push the handle hard to get it to lock in.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

8. Member
    One additional warning on removing/replacing the cowling: After getting my boat serviced last fall, the ignition wires were easily caught by the cowling as it was replaced and loosened up a spark plug wire. During my first trip after the service the boot came off the plug. I took it back to the dealer and they easily found the issue, but when the replaced the cowling they did it again and caught it before I picked it up.

Long story short, they had to reroute one of my plug wires to be tucked in a little better and not get caught by the cowling.
    Last edited by Bmdubya; 09-16-2019 at 12:31 PM.

cowling is definately tough to get to line up to make it latch properly...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Only if you miss the guides. Put a little WD on the cowl seal and she'll slide down a little easier
    I wouldn't recommend WD 40 for lubricating any sort of rubber seals, silicone spray lube would be much preferable.
    The petroeium in WD 40 will deteriorate them
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

All good to know -- thanks !

12. Member
    I have found with mine that tilting up the motor to about 15 degrees from vertical makes it a more natural motion to pull off and reinstall the cowl without catching on motor parts. The angle will vary with each person I assume due to different individuals height.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    I have found with mine that tilting up the motor to about 15 degrees from vertical makes it a more natural motion to pull off and reinstall the cowl without catching on motor parts. The angle will vary with each person I assume due to different individuals height.
    Will add to this: removal is much easier standing on the back deck of boat with engine tilted.

14. Member
    I just checked mine ..sure enough its tilted about 3/8" out of wack ...just what i need is my cowling bouncing down the highway.....gggrrrrrrrr!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    Will add to this: removal is much easier standing on the back deck of boat with engine tilted.
    I have a 200 Pro XS 4s. This is the only way I remove the cowling, and, even at my age, don't find it difficult from the back deck with it tilted up somewhat.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Member
    Standing in the back of the boat pulling V8 4S cover is much easier than on the ground pulling the 2S Opti cover.

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Standing in the back of the boat pulling V8 4S cover is much easier than on the ground pulling the 2S Opti cover.
    I'll second that !!