15 EFI pro kicker interference

2018 15 EFI Pro Kicker serial OR866538
    There is a real problem with these motors as they give off excessive electrical interference at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. The engine has a distinct howl in this RPM range which causes excessive electrical interference so you can not read sonar. Not just mine either as others have had same issue. I am almost certain this is coming from the alternator flywheel.
    Not sure if Merc is aware of this or if anything has been done. Really sucks because it is right in the trolling speed area for alot of the fishing I do.
    Any solution?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Where is the transducer mounted in relationship to the engine?

Graph and Engine on the same battery?

Is there a Battery Isolator Installed?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Transducer is shoot through center aft.
    Kicker on separate 5th battery.
    Battery isolator with battery 1, 2, both, off, switch.

4. Member
    I’ve got a 2019 Merc PK 15EFI on my new Ranger and it’s connected to my starting/electronics battery. I have not experienced anything like that on my HDS’s. Boat has three trolling and a starting battery.

Quote Originally Posted by BCLII View Post
    I’ve got a 2019 Merc PK 15EFI on my new Ranger and it’s connected to my starting/electronics battery. I have not experienced anything like that on my HDS’s. Boat has three trolling and a starting battery.
    Does it have a howl at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. The interference is during the howl period and troll speed about 2.5mph

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A couple suggestions:

-Verify you have a COMMON GROUND cable connected between each of these batteries. There MUST be a common ground.

-If the problem persists- inspect prop. Check for any abnormalities. If none are found- PM me for a suggestion.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Does it have a howl at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. The interference is during the howl period and troll speed about 2.5mph
    No, can’t say there is a howl! Some cavitation in rough water. This sits on a new ranger 2080ms. It’s connected to my starting battery but I also pulled what I believe “clean” power off that battery to a new terminal under the console. I’m running 3 HDS’s, 12&9 at the console and a 9 @ bow. I’m an open water troller, so run my kicker a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    A couple suggestions:

-Verify you have a COMMON GROUND cable connected between each of these batteries. There MUST be a common ground.

-If the problem persists- inspect prop. Check for any abnormalities. If none are found- PM me for a suggestion.
    I will check that to be sure.