Thread: Steering Lube?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steering Lube?

My hydraulic steering is malfunctioning, perhaps from neglect. I added fluid to the recommended level, but now is there some way to lube the seals that slide across that stainless steel rod?

I'll prolly end up taking it to the shop, but just wondering if there's something simple I can try first.

I can turn the steering wheel a full 360 before the motor moves.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Roy,

Sounds like to me you need to bleed the system. But, to answer your question, you can put a few drops of light weight oil in the steering rod and wipe it with a shop rag. Bleeding is easiest with 2 people unless you have one of the bubble purge kits available.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c...5/200017-B.pdf

https://outboardst.com/product-categ...service-tools/

-- he makes it look so easy

3. Member
    sounds like the valving in the helm has gone bad, or, the the o rings in the ram.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Handy tool to have.

Thanks guys. I'll watch the video and update later when I can work on it.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    If you had to add fluid, I'd also look for leaks, either at the steering rod seals or at the helm.

Thanks. I put some light oil on the stainless steel rod and worked the motor back and forth and it worked. I used the hydro fluid itself as it was a very light, clear oil. Thanks for the help folks!
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Also, Reggie, I will check for leaks. I still have my manual with instructions.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

So, if I can turn the motor successfully at the helm with little or no play, am I safe to go fishing, or do I need to do some kind of torque test such as bear-hug the motor and try to see if it moves along the steering rod?
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Should be right at zero play. The guy in the video above does a "kick test" when he's done, and you can see the motor doesn't move. Mine had a small leak on one of the seals back at the motor and I thought the little bit of slop wasn't bad until one day I got on plane and couldn't hold it in a straight line. Had me a seal kit on order as soon as I got home.

Cool. I'll have to finish watching the video. Is the seal kit easy to install?
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Well I gave it the old kick test (actually I just tried to move the engine with my hands) and the motor moves about 2 inches to the right or left, but then stops good and solid. Do I need new seals?

If I do, I will just have my local shop do it. I like to help keep our local guys in business.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Have you seen any evidence of leakage? Mine was just wet on the end cap of the steering rod. I also had traces of fluid down the side of my jack plate.. I'm sure when I was running and turning, it was coming out where you could see it. If everythig is dry though, you may just need to bleed the system again to get that slack out.

I haven't seen evidence of leaking, but I'll give it a real good going over tonight. Thanks.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    I haven't seen evidence of leaking, but I'll give it a real good going over tonight. Thanks.
    Roy,
    Sounds like the issue I had, which took care of it by doing what TX Champ said to properly bleed out the air out of your system following the Seastar instructions and make sure you DO NOT run the reservoir low while doing it. Extra pair of hands will do it much easier. BTW, when was the last time your fluid was replace? it is not like Jesus juice that gets better with age.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Roy,
    Sounds like the issue I had, which took care of it by doing what TX Champ said to properly bleed out the air out of your system following the Seastar instructions and make sure you DO NOT run the reservoir low while doing it. Extra pair of hands will do it much easier. BTW, when was the last time your fluid was replace? it is not like Jesus juice that gets better with age.
    I had lunch with a guy from my old bass club yesterday, and when I mentioned my problem, it just happened that he had just redone his whole system. (on the Nitro that I sold him before I got my 187). He offered to come over this Fall and help me redo my seals and stuff. I'll supply the Jesus juice. Thanks for the help!
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    I had lunch with a guy from my old bass club yesterday, and when I mentioned my problem, it just happened that he had just redone his whole system. (on the Nitro that I sold him before I got my 187). He offered to come over this Fall and help me redo my seals and stuff. I'll supply the Jesus juice. Thanks for the help!
    Roy,
    It sound like you have a good plan in action. Just a suggestion if you are replacing the fluid and don't want to spend 80.00 with Seastar, I used Mystik Hydraulic Jack oil after studying their PI that shows it ISO grade 22 (seastar is 15) and an excellent additive spectrography, specially for older systems. Mine is a 2002 Cobra 201DC with 2003 Merc 225 EFI 10" JP
    I bought 2 quarts at Grainger for less than 15.00, and it is mineral based oil, which is in line with Seastar 5430H. Follow the Seastar instructions on replacing fluid, and with helper, you should be done in 1hr or less, if you did not get into the Jesus juice first that is.

Thanks!
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

20. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    As Frank stated, there are alternatives to Seastar's rather pricey fluid. This is from one of their publications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast