Broken jack plate bolt

Broke one of the jack plate bolts on my 200 efi. It looks like the motor probably needs to be removed to take the jack plate off and then have all four bolts replaced and then put back together. Anyone know what that might cost at a shop?

2. Member
    a shop should be able to do that within an hours worth of shop time most time being spent cleaning transom for the re install. its more so a gravy job for a shop thats for sure so shouldnt break your bank to get it done.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

3. Member
    shop labor rates may vary ,prob couple hrs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    A couple of notes.

If you are talking about motor to jack plate, those are easy to replace. You can probably find 'em at your local marine parts dealer. FINE threads are the ticket. Properly torqued (I use 100 ft/lbs).

If you are talking about the jack plate to transom bolts. Here is again my approach. Remove ONE of the 4 bolts. Take a 12 gauge shotgun bore cleaning brush and run it into the hole with your battery-operated drill. That will clean the hole out perfectly and get rid of the sealant used. I would recommend using 3m 4200. Squeeze some into the bolt hole and use a small dowel to coat the entire thing. Then coat the bolt in the same way. Insert the bolt, add the washer and nut and torque to 55 ft/lbs. Have someone hold a wrench on the BOLT head so that it does not turn and force some of the sealant out. Repeat 3 more times and you won't have a sign of a leak. Every year or so you might check the transom bolts, but again you need a helper to hold the bolt completely still so you don't break the seal around it. I would check the jack plate / motor bolts more frequently since they get more vibration and are not embedded in silicone sealer to help keep them from moving and loosening. The trick that took me a while to discover is the brass bore brush. Otherwise it is nearly impossible to clean the hole without running a drill bit through it and potentially enlarging the hole.

You can do this in less than an hour and you will KNOW it was done right and nothing will leak. Some small shops are not so careful or are sloppy and don't get a good seal. Much better to do it yourself and know it was done right. Or else take it to a reputable marine dealer rather than Jack's lawnmower, string trimmer and outboard motor repair. :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have to laugh at the "you can do this in less than an hour" comments. Maybe so, maybe a big "NOT!".

Not knowing what jack plate, which bolt, and where on the bolt it broke, I wouldn't even begin to venture a statement on "time required"... for all I know it's a detweiler with over 18 bolts that hold it together.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    You are obviously correct. And on a bass cat it will take longer anyway since we have 6 jack plate to transom bolts rather than the usual 4. However I did assume "jack plate" and not "hydraulic jack plate". Hydraulic is not going to be repaired as I suggest most likely, as getting to the transom bolts can be problematic. If you have to take things apart, that's a whole different ball game. But at least 90% of the boats I have driven or seen are the usual manual jack plate, slide master or some other brand... My one hour estimate was based on the process I described. If you have to disassemble part or all of the jack plate, obviously that would be a different animal, and require lifting the motor to start the process.

My error here...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200