Thread: 920 back deck

920 back deck

Can anyone tell me why the 920 back deck is the same size as the 921 back deck? Seems like it takes up a considerable amount of what could be front deck, slightly disproportionate compared to other brands. No offense co anglers, but I’m not buying a boat for you I’d be interested to know if Phoenix will ever correct that issue.

2. Member
    Has been one of my biggest gripes with Phoenix. They really need to size down that back deck and add it to the front. I think they do in part to the design of the hull and fulcrum point

3. Member
    They wont change it because that is part of what makes up the Phoenix ride everyone loves. Function over form
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

I personally like the larger back deck. It lets me store most of my heavy equipment in the back of the boat where it should be.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    They wont change it because that is part of what makes up the Phoenix ride everyone loves. Function over form
    +1
    I wouldn't want anything back there smaller (storage/wells/bilge area). If I "needed" more front deck, I'd buy the bigger boat.
    2014 920/SHO

6. Member
    I fish with my older dad alot and like that he has the extra deck size in case something gets him off balance.

7. Member
    I’ve asked this question before, as I felt the front deck of my 21 PHX was small compared to other 21 footers. Most answers referenced the gas tank placement and impacts to ride. Seems like they could change the shape of the tank (like Vexus did), thus allowing them to move the seats back. However, I’m no engineer.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

8. Member
    Why doesn't GMC make the cabin of their truck the same size as the Ford? With this flaw in design I am glad I own a Ford. Same principle of this thread. The initial premise of the post assumes the deck size is a problem for the customers who purchase the boat. As noted by the replies of owners in this post the problem is well, actually not a problem. GM, Ford, Dodge etc all make trucks. Phoenix, Ranger, Nitro all make boats. Buy what you like. If Gary Clouse thought the deck was an issue I am certain it would change. After all, they just expanded manufacturing plant to keep up with demand. I'm not meaning to offend anyone, I don't understand the purpose of the thread. If you are a potential customer I am sure the outstanding folks at Phoenix can explain it if you call them.
    2019 Phoenix 819 ProXP
    200 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS

9. Tico
    Because the back deck consumes are larger percent of the length of the boat compared to other bass boats. OP had a fair and good question. As to whether it is good or bad is of personal choice but it is integral to the overall performance of the hull.

It does push some buyers to a longer boat to get the front deck length these anglers prefer

10. Member
    Remember, if you shorten the back deck, you must reduce the size of the fuel tank, and the live wells. That's the reason it is the same size as the 21.

The front deck is huge on my 21PHX, I don't see any need for it being longer!
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX / 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

12. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Would only gain about 4 inches anyway

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcl20x3 View Post
    The front deck is huge on my 21PHX, I don't see any need for it being longer!
    Specifically referring the 920. I also obviously realize I could buy 21ft boat for a bigger front deck, but I can’t have a boat bigger than 20ft and it fit in my garage. Other 20 ft boats have slightly larger front decks and smaller back decks. Just curious why this may be (I’m sure there’s a reason), or if its something they may change in the future.
    Last edited by Ranger#22; 09-12-2019 at 06:39 PM.

14. Member
    I believe the gas tank placement causes the seats/console to be pushed forward in the Phoenix.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

15. Member
    there is nothing “small” about a 920 front deck !... my team partner & I ‘ are both big dudes !... & we both fish up front with no problem!....

16. Member
    It must be something to do with boat load and balance.
    To get the weight and balance like the manufacture wanted it when it’s fully loaded with two fisherman and full gear.

17. Member
    I have a 21 PHX and it is the perfect fishing platform! My co anglers love all the back deck space and the storage is great! The only thing about the back deck that I would like to see is better access to all the pumps!!! The front deck is like an aircraft carrier coming from my basscat Puma. I absolutely love this beast of a boat!!!