Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying a new prop

Currently running the 24P Fury 3 that came on the boat. Thinking about sending my 26P Temp+ to Mark to be re pitched to a 25P. Will I have to have the dealer do any adjustments with a computer to get max performance out of the motor or not since it is a slight prop difference? I can raise the Temp+ a little higher than the Fury

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I don't think you're going to be able to spin a 26P to recommended RPM's.

What are you spinning your 24P Fury to (currently), WOT, Full Tournament Load?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don. I am planning to have the 26 re pitched to a 25 so it should be closer to the 24 Fury but I should be able to raise it up a little more. The 24 Fury with full load at WOT I got to 5900. I did turn the 26 as is but only got it to 5700. Speed was about the same at 72.6 - 73. P2P height with the Fury is at 3.25" and the Temp+ is 2.75". Tach reading is analog so next time out I will change the smartcraft to RPM's and get the RPM from there.

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Have the Fury reworked, it will perform far better than the tempest in every aspect, Pitching down usually does not work out very well. Much better to work a prop up than down. When going down you will likely loose some rake, cup or both. When going up it often is increased which is usually desirable on high performance boats
    Last edited by lpugh; 09-12-2019 at 12:52 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Have the Fury reworked, it will perform far better than the tempest in every aspect, Pitching down usually does not work out very well. Much better to work a prop up than down. When going down you will likely loose some rake, cup or both. When going up it often is increased which is usually desirable on high performance boats
    totally aggree here...
    the odd pitch props are nothing but the even pitch plus added cupping...
    however, i understand you desire to want to salvage an already known/owned good prop... you would be better off selling, buying another and having it worked...
    dont forget about the 4blade fury/ bravo ...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Thanks for the feedback guys....always some good info/thoughts here. Had not thought about the possible reduction of cup etc. which I don't want with the heavy Ultrex on the bow and 2 poles on the stern. I'll get some digital RPM numbers from the smartcraft before I do anything.

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would get a Smartcraft figure FIRST. If you're really at 5900 right now, you may not need to work that prop.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. mikesxpress
    Your going the wrong way. This V8 is designed to run at 6200 rpms. Try a 23P Fury with all the holes plugged. You should see the magic 6150 #. Speed is going to be what it is but it needs to turn more rpms than what your seeing now.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Your going the wrong way. This V8 is designed to run at 6200 rpms. Try a 23P Fury with all the holes plugged. You should see the magic 6150 #. Speed is going to be what it is but it needs to turn more rpms than what your seeing now.
    So does having the holes plugged on the prop help the V8? I know that on the SHO it helps the variable timing and sensing the load but had not heard that on the Merc. If so, I will plug the holes on the 24P Fury first and see what I get too before doing anything.

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

10. mikesxpress
    The PVS on the props has little to no effect on the V8.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... and this is a whole different animal than the "Sho".

Got out today....1/2 tank of gas, both live wells full, all tackle, and I carry a heavy load, myself (155#) ......Fury 24 stock at 5830 RPMs.......maybe I do need to try a Fury 23 for hotter weather??

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

13. mikesxpress
    What was your gps speed, air/water temp, water conditions? Were you able to get your bow rise/boat attitude optimized?

Fraser if you had a full tank of fuel and load up a 200lb+ fishing partner it's going to affect it allot more. While some of the lighter weight Ali hulls have more wheel options, most of the rest of us are ending up with the 3 blade 23P Fury as stated above.
    Gotta get as close to that 6200 as possible to see the performance.

I'm not a fan of having a prop butcher thin blades or bang cup into any new prop. A box prop can be off as much as 2 pitches blade to blade. If you run a 23 and can get close to 6200 with proper bow attitude, get the prop trued up at a shop that has a coordinate measuring machine (PropScan or other) and then you have a true wheel to try again. The difference between my "out of the box" 23P Fury and after it was trued up to an actual 23P was an increase of 420 rpms and better bow lift. If you need any further adjustments (more bow lift) your at a known true baseline and it's allot more predictable from there.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 09-22-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Thanks Mike. GPS speed was 74.2, water temp mid 80's, fairly calm water, 88 degree air temp. I have good bow lift even with the 36V Ultrex on the nose of the boat. As far as prop adjustment I have always used Mark Croxton and usually he ends up blue printing them for me and I have been very pleased with his results. I'll likely try to sell the blue printed 26 Temp+ and try to find a 23 Fury

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    Got out today....1/2 tank of gas, both live wells full, all tackle, and I carry a heavy load, myself (155#) ......Fury 24 stock at 5830 RPMs.......maybe I do need to try a Fury 23 for hotter weather??
    I agree that a 23P may be in order. Please confirm you're using SMARTCRAFT for the RPM figure, however. Suspect you are, but no sense in "assuming".

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I agree that a 23P may be in order. Please confirm you're using SMARTCRAFT for the RPM figure, however. Suspect you are, but no sense in "assuming".
    Yes sir, I am. I posted on the Phoenix forum as well to see what their experiences are with my hull and motor combo.....they seem to concur....23 or work the 24. Either way Don, will I need to have someone throw it on a computer for that small of a prop change or should I be good. I am just going of of something I saw where if you change props you may have to have the dealer check/adjust the computer somehow to get the best performance out of the motor/prop combo....or is that a bunch bunk.....

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

A 23P is only a 71-72 MPH ride @ 6200... Theres no way you shouldn't be able to spin a 24P on a 721... I run a 27P Tempest on my 21 Triton @ 6k doing 80 mph. I also have a 24 Fury & on the limiter it runs 74/75. My 25 Fury will run 77.6 loaded w 2 guys in the limiter as well.. I would definitely make sure it's getting WOT before getting crazy w props. Just my .02 is all

You dont need to have the dealer hook up the computer every time you change the prop either

18. mikesxpress
    Fraser did YOU run a 23? I wouldn't take a reference from anyone on prop selections even on identical boat/engine combinations. These new V8's run at much different trim/jack plate settings than the Opti and as each rig is different in regards to load and operator abilities, you should do your own testing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Fraser did YOU run a 23? I wouldn't take a reference from anyone on prop selections even on identical boat/engine combinations. These new V8's run at much different trim/jack plate settings than the Opti and as each rig is different in regards to load and operator abilities, you should do your own testing.
    I have not Mike and so I need to find one. Trying to decide if I am going to look for a used one and send to Mark to be blue printed or take my chances on one right out of the box......
    B.O.A.T......Bust Out Another Thousand

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Took it in to the Phoenix dealer for my first service and asked them to check for WOT. They said when I bought it they were still trying to figure out the new V8 and that's why I got the 24. They said I needed the 23 and swapped it out for me at no charge. I'll try to run it soon and report back...of course it's cooler weather now too. Thanks for all the feedback and HAPPY TURKEY DAY to all!

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast